Limits of the Celeron 300A
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Limits of the Celeron 300A

Limits of the Celeron 300A

I currently have a Celeron 300A@450MHz, running stable as a rock at 2.0v. I'm planning to upgrade my system in the near future. Assuming that all the other components are able to handle 133MHz fsb, what are the chances of my CPU running at 133MHz fsb also. That would make it 4.5x133=600MHz!!. Is this possible, has it been done or am I asking the impossible?
    If this is just wishful thinking, what is a good PIII that can be overclocked to 133MHz fsb. I'd appreciate anyone's advice or opinions.

Cygnus

Sterling_Aug Guest
    I would guess your chances of hitting 133 MHz FSB with a Celeron 300A are somewhere between "none" and "don't hold your breath".

You want to do what, with who, where and why? HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!!!!

(In other words, Ditto! )

------------------
    "Badges?!?! We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

all true but give it a go anyway
    you will be the man if you get there!

It's been done before, but it certainly isn't likely.

Unless you get some outrageous supercooling rig, it is for all practical intents and purposes impossible.

I got a cely 300a and the absolute highest I can hit with ice water on my peltier and the heat exchanger hangin' out the window in 30F weather(the cold side of the peltier hit -14C) was 123FSB (553.5) But It is very stable at 118 fsb (531)@2.1V. So maybe I have a bad chip, but that's all I could sqeeze out of it. BTW mine ran stable at 450 1.9V with a little thermal compound on a factory heatsink. So if you try it, you gotta have a great chip. If it works, You da man! Keep us posted.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, break it!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Checkout Overclockers.com there are a few people who have registered there cele 300 as doing 600

TN checkout
    http://members.xoom.com/fastceleron/ this guy has a 400@ 744

I had my 300A running at 558, 2,3V for three days. I had a 58W TEC and an Alpha to cool it. Then I lapped it and that SOB died on me in the attempt of hitting 616MHz. AARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Duckman

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    matrix.crosswinds.net/~sverresjo/duckman.htm

You think you got a bad chip?!? Believe me, you got a very nice chip there...most 300a's couldnt even hit 504 w/o exceptional cooling. I myself am stuck with a c300a thats %100 stable at 450, 2.1v but wont even post at 504, 2.3v

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

Probably the highest your getting w/o water cooling is about 524.

------------------
    Weren't you supposed to be the test chamber a half hour ago?
    Ahhhhhh!!!!! I knew we couldn't create a resonance cascade!!!
    Thank goodness you're here!!
    -Famous scientist words

Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Cygnus, what's your S-Spec on your chip?

Oh, by the way for anyone interested, my 300a is a retail tray SL32A Malay 100% stable 450@2.0v, 464@2.1v, posts at 504 2.2v+, but hangs in windows every time.

This is with stock sink and fan. Nothing added.

Siamese Guest
    never say never man
    mine is at 600 mhz, too bad the v3 2k cant handle the 89mhz agp bus, thats why the games crash ,but soon my tnt 2
    will be in and all will be well at 600mhz

Siamese Guest
    oh , did i mention its stable at 2.05 volts on a abit zm-6 mobo 64mb pc100 6ns Seimens ram.
    I also just bought another stick of generic 64mb 6ns ram, but it wasnt stable so i have to return it 2morrow, ****ty.
    As for cooling I have a Global WIn fep32 with 3 case fans in addition to the fan on the heatsink blowing through the fins from all sides of the heatsink. 25-26C idle with cpuidle and 35C after heavy 3d gamin

Thread Information