TNproud2B's Transformation
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNproud2B's Transformation

Hybrid View

TNproud2B's Transformation

Some people on HWC/CC&O are Legends like the famous TNproud2B but I have seen no topics about him explaining why he added an ! to his name.
    Did i miss it ?

And by the way TN, what does it feel like to be a Junior Member again ?

Blackstaff

OK
    I'm sorry i haven't seen it but it's down there.

It is temporary as i understood it.

Sorry again.

Really ... I mean it.

I think its because he just got his cable modem.. along with this comes a new IP and email address. So he had to change his user info on his original screen name. So untill HWC makes the changes he has to use ! in a temporary SN.. Am I correct TN?? thats my 2cents.. laterzzz
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

So you do not use DHCP with a cable modem ?
    The IP is fixed ?

Um... HIs change of screen name has nothing to do with IP address...
    His email address changed, and he wanted his user profile on Hardware Central to reflect that.

But yes, when you get a cable modem, you get a static IP address... It doesn't change. Your computer is constantly connected, there is no "log on log off". At least, not wiuth @Home.

Hence the reason they put the 16 kilobytes per second cap on uploads... Has nothing to do with available bandwidth, they just didn't want people hosting web sites off their home computers for free. (I'm just being sour)
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

That upload limit is just what the local cable company in your area has set. It varies from company to company. Yours is the lowest I have ever heard of. I also have @home, through Comcast in Maryland. Here, there is no upload speed cap; it is limited only by available bandwidth, just as the download speed is.

------------------
    Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    Moderator of Video Cards forum at MakeItSimple
    www.makeitsimple.com
    jjr512@makeitsimple.com

I tried to update my email address in my profile, when I did it said I would receive a new password which would be emailed to me. I didn't make a mistake on the address, the password just never showed up in my inbox. This happens frequently to people, so I was careful about changing my profile. I'm still waiting for that password.................
    Cablemodems - Some are throttled to preserve bandwidth in areas that are near the limit. This can mean slower uploads, downloads, or both. I was assured that no throttling is used by Roadrunner in MY PARTICULAR area of North Carolina. Your results will vary, however. Even a throttled cablemodem is fast as hell, so people generally won't notice anyway. I had incredible transfer speeds from my home FTP server to my computer at work. Ping times were 16, transfer speed was 670kb/sec. I was right down the road from my house, so I won't say that this is normal. As more people take advantage of cable internet, my speeds will decrease. But for now, I'm loving it.

Cable Modem is a dream for me.
    Six months ago a company of cable TV made the great annoucement that it was arriving in my town and that the people interested had to write them an e-mail.
    Still waiting ...
    But ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line) seems very promising since you don't have to share it.

But a question i do have :
    Is Win2k supporting IIS4.0 (Internet Information Server) and did you try to use it ?
    Active Server Pages is a cool technology.

Blackstaff

Is TN a member yet? I love all of the signatures that I use when Im a member.

------------------
    Weren't you supposed to be the test chamber a half hour ago?
    Ahhhhhh!!!!! I knew we couldn't create a resonance cascade!!!
    Thank goodness you're here!!
    -Famous scientist words

Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Hey look TNProud is a full member now.

------------------
    Weren't you supposed to be the test chamber a half hour ago?
    Ahhhhhh!!!!! I knew we couldn't create a resonance cascade!!!
    Thank goodness you're here!!
    -Famous scientist words

Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Thread Information