For those who have modified their cases
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: For those who have modified their cases

Hybrid View

For those who have modified their cases

What is the easiest way to cut blowholes in your case? The tools I 've seen require a 1/2 inch bit and I only have a drill with a 3/8" bit. Suggestions? Want to cut a blowhole on the top and over the vid card/processor and possibly another in the rear. Thanks.

SirRobin

That will work dine (the 3/8). Ive actually seen people use 1/16 bits and just drilled a thousand of them in any pattern they desired.

------------------
    I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ***. And I'm all out of bubble gum.
    I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ***. And I'm all out of bubble gum.

oh, what you want is a hole-cut saw. There a made to be put in a drill and cut a perfect circle. you can find them most anywhere from Wal-Mart to any hardware store in many differnt sizes. You can get a whole set or just one. I would say just get a generic brand if your only gonna use them once or a few times because name brand ones can be rather expensive. These would make a much nicer cut that making a circle with a drill bit. good luck & have fun!

[This message has been edited by AMD100 (edited 12-14-99).]
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

Like AMD100 said hole-cut bit is perfect.
    I find the size used for door installation(don't know the specks got it from my fathers bench) is perfect for 80mm fans w/ a little metal griil youll be stylin.

GL
    Argo

------------------
    Hey hey hey Hee hee hee look at me I'm the flying pig?

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady
    Hey hey hey Hee hee hee look at me I'm the flying pig?

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady

Since I'm an electrican,I have a set of Klein hole punches,1/2 to 2 1/2", they are perfect for clean smooth round holes in almost any thickness metal,just drill 1 hole in the middle,insert the bolt& bearing,and the cutting die screws onto the threaded bolt from the other side,turn bolt with wrench till it pops out,Perfect! no sharp edges,paint loss,or distorted metal.Home Depot and a few hardware stores have them.

Siamese Guest
    Well, i make holes in my comp case with a the smallest drill bits then (cause its easier to puncture. Then i use progressively larger drill bits to increase to the desired size, Just make sure u take all ur components out so that u dont get metal shavings on the goods.
    this is really ugly if u dont do it well so thats why i drilled it in teh bottom of my case and installed a case fan so that it sucks cold air from the bottom to the top where the processor is.
    IT worked wonders man!!!

I cut the whole dayum hole out, then i put a store bought grill on it, 2cool has em, Way less back pressure, and most are drawing out anyhow right ?? Takes the dust out with it..

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

I dont get why you guys are mucking around with cutting holes in your case, doesnt it kinda defeat the point of having a cover?
    if you are worried a bout cooling and want to do it with air get one of those big 20" fans and aim it inside the case that way you will also blow off any dust
    Win Win situation

Ive seen all that done but I simply got my dads jigsaw and popped in a metal cutting blade and cut perfectly round circles in the top and side of my new case. Blowholes kick arse. Mind you if youre going to use this method, cut the circles from the inside side of the case or you will end up scratching the good white side.
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Abit KR7A-R, 512MB PC2700 DDR CAS2, 2x IBM 30.6GXP running RAID 0, Asus GeForce2 MX, Hercules GameTheater XP, SMC 1210TX Nic...

Thread Information