Do P3-500E's work in a regular slocket?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Do P3-500E's work in a regular slocket?

Do P3-500E's work in a regular slocket?

Or any coppermine for that matter, I thought I read somewhere that they are not compatible with regular 370 to slot-1 slockets? I'm wondering if its worth it if I already have a P3-500, oc'd to 620, to upgrade to a P3-500E? I don't think my memory can handle 133mhz, so I won't be able to overclock it anymore than my current P3-500 right now. And it would not be cost effective to dump 128megs a pc-100 just to buy 128megs of pc-133 right now either. Hmm, maybe I should just wait and see? Any advice anyone?

Im not really up on the 500E but if it works in a 370 ZIF then as long as you have Clock and VOltage on the SLocket I cant see why it wouldnt work.....I could be wrong tho.
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

The Coppermine uses a lower core voltage then the Katmai processors (1.65 V vs 2.00 V). Using the coppermine PPGA in a Celeron adapter will roast the Coppermine. The voltage change is due to the transistor size (from 0.25 micron to 0.18 micron). Celeron adapters do not support this low voltage, thus a Coppermine specific adapter is required.
    P4 2.5 Engineering Sample C1 stepping on Asus P4B266 w/512 MB PC2700
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/Sony E500
    Adaptec 19160 SCSI w/Seagate X15, 2xQuantum Atlas 10kII 73.4GB, 2xSeagate 73LP 73.4GB
    Pioneer 305S slot load DVD (SCSI), Plextor 40TSi (SCSI), Yamaha 2200S 20x burner (SCSI)
    SB Live Platinum 5.1 w/Yamaha TSS1
    Lian Li PC70 w/Enermax 531W p/s

What if you Chanage the Voltage on the Mobo...to match!

If that didnt work wouldnt you need an entirely new type of MoBo....a Coppermine 370 socket?

I don't think 500E will work in a 370 socket. I called up a local store here (Artic computers) and they told me they shipped their entire shippment of 500e back cuz no mobo supports it at the time (a week or so ago). The only thing that I have heard of are slockets, and they are FC slocket or something.

Check out the Asus web site under motherboards\Coppermine and you'll find that they have slockets for their boards. I don't know who sells them though. Their slockets have a voltage default option which defaults to what ever the cpu default voltage is. Anyone know where I can get one?
    link - http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Techref/cpu/coppermine/index.html

[This message has been edited by flagreen (edited 12-12-99).]

I just built a sys with an PIII500E with an Eagle Slocket Designed to Support 1.4 to 2.9 Voltage. has a row of 8 Jumpers on it....the Slocket cost me 29.95 Canadian...and the Sys is running Great.
    It also has AUto/66/100/133 setings on the slocket.

The Mobo was an Asus(my fav)P3W.

go to:

http://bxboards.com/iwill370ii.shtml

bxboards.com reviewed an IWill Slocket convertor, and from the looks of it, it is pretty good.... that should solve your Coppermine on a Slot 1 motherboard problem...
    i heard some places you can get it for less than 30 dollars....

i am about to get my hands on a Coppermine soon, I heard the 500E is as easy to OC as the celeron 300A's, but as more people attempt to OC it, we will see how successful it actually is.....

good luck, and let me know if u plan to OC a coppermine, i would like to know how it works out for you........

The Coppermine sys wasnt mine so, I wont be clocking it( you know the
    Saying " you fry it' you buy it")....Maybe some time later...If I ever buy a High end sys, I think Im going to go K7.

Thread Information