I overclocked my cable modem!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I overclocked my cable modem!

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio

I overclocked my cable modem!

Ok, maybe I didn't overclock it. I have RoadRunner service in Columbus,OH. I was becoming disapointed with my download rate. I ran a test and my rate was between 40Kbytes/sec and 50Kbytes/sec. I found a program called TweakRR.exe. It is supposed to make changes to a couple things in the registry file. It did not work, however I did go in a change them manually. My results were amazing. My download rate went to between 300Kbytes/sec and 400Kbytes/sec. That is almost ten times faster! This small change to the registry will work for anyone using RR and their motorola cable modems. I don't have much more info than that right now because I am at work. I just wanted to post this to see if there was any interest. If there is I will post the page I found the info on tonight.
    Maybe I did overclock it.

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 12-13-99).]
    -Goff

It is probably just the same registry patch that I have installed. mine speeded up after I installed it. another thing, if alot of people are loggin in you neighbor hood it will slow down. you should have called RR. they are supposed to fix it when this happenes.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

goffenhiemer,

I to live here in Columbus, OH, but I've got Insight (live up on the north part of Col. near Polaris Pkwy). So I had to settle with a ISDN line into my home and office. What comp. stores do you frequent? For my overclocking needs, I prefer Computer Factory (best prices), Crazy Kenny's (best selections), Computer Success (best used items including monitors), CompUsa (best prices on software), Micro Center (hard to find items) and CompUsed (selling used items on consignment). I have also visited Raven Tech, but only once. Let me know if you found any really good computer resellers or stores here in Columbus. Overall, I think Computer Factory is the best, with great prices (15gig hard drive for $120, cel400 for $60, and 64megs for $80!).

------------------
    "Badges?!?! We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

I tried other patches like ispeed.exe and others but I never had the same results. The motorola cable modem works very well with a maxMTU of 1492 for example. I did call RR and they didn't do much for me. I found out about these changes on their help forum.
    -Goff

Computer Factory has great prices. I set my freind up with a PIII 550 complete system for around $1000. Top of the line everything. TNT2U, SoundBlaster Live, 20gig HDD, etc. One of my other freinds bought I Pentium 200mmx system from Computer Success and I opened the case to find a 200 Cyrix! In general, I buy most of my stuff online. I can get really great prices, 40$ soundblaster live for example.

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 12-09-99).]
    -Goff

So what changes did you make to the registry?
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say.
    A fool speaks because he has to say something.

TN, I don't think you modem has been throttled, it just doesn't work at its peak with Windows default settings.
    -Goff

i have heard about this they don't throttle the modem there are just registry entries that you can tweak that will allow your cpu to process more threads or something like that. yea i would like to know what entries you made in the registry and if it will work with dsl.

Yes, Please post. Hey, can I get those improvements using a D-Link NIC card. I just kept my lan party one instead of bying RR's.
    I've also noticed mt Dwnld's are a little weak lately.

Let me know

Argo

------------------
    Hey hey hey Hee hee hee look at me I'm the flying pig?

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady

I live in columbus and i have not heard of Computer Factory. Where is it. I have been to Krazy Kenny's (great place) CompUSA is just pain.

got the goods go check out this site tells ya what registry changes to make and will test your bandwidth http://www.hpnainfo.com/cablebasics.html

OK, I'm back. Sorry for the delay, I had to go help my girlfreind's dad with his computer...you know how it is. Anyway, I got the changes from home.columbus.rr.com/qmartens/TweakRR.htm If you do not use RR in columbus I am not sure if you can access that. Here is what that page says to do.

HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\000x

There could be several keys, each with its own unique number replaced by the x. Look for a value called InfSection in each 000x string. If it contains MSTCP, add a new string value, if not already there, called MaxMTU, and set the value data to 1492. Do this in every 000x string that you see the MSTCP value. Note: Some of these 000x string control your dial-up networking, I believe that the ones with MSTCP control the cable modem.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

Add a new string, if not already there, called DefaultRcvWindow. Set the value data to 65340.

That is all there is, reboot and test it out. These changes are specific to RR service with the motorola cable modems. I am not sure if it work with DSL or other cable modems. If none of this makes sense to you just get on you local RR page and do a search for TweakRR and see if you can find it.

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 12-10-99).]
    -Goff

Jeffy79 Guest
    Can a regular old modem be tweaked?

Jeff

------------------
    "That's my story and im stickin to it!"

Hey goffenhiemer,
    Under HKEY_LOCAL....../MSCTCP
    I have two other folders wich do I add the new string too,
    They are Parameters/winsock and service provider????

Help
    Argo

------------------

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady

Argo:
    I did not make any changes to the Parameters/Winsock folder or the ServiceProvider folder. You add the DefaultRcvWindow value to the MSTCP folder and leave the rest alone.

Jeffy79:
    There are programs out there that do make changes to your registry for dial-up networking. These settings will not help you, they will only hurt. Look around and I am sure you will find them.

All:
    I tried the link home.columbus.rr.com/qmartens/TweakRR.htm at work and it works fine. You don't have to have RR in columbus to view it like I hypothised earlier. I suggest going there and downloading TreakRR.exe and trying for yourself. It gave me and error saying that it was enable to make changes to registry. It may work for you however. I had to do mine manually. I also used the FTP Speed Test available there to get a reading on my rate. Try using that so that we can compare rates.

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 12-10-99).]
    -Goff

Thread Information