Where do you think the "multiplier lock" is? - Page 5
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Where do you think the "multiplier lock" is?

Jopey,

Its one thing to dislike a certain brand of car, but you have provided no reason why. Thats about as dumb as someone saying, "I just don't like AMD, AMD sucks, and thats that." Sounds like not much brain power went into that sentence, huh?

Hey, I love blowers, but its kinda dumb to compare a blown car to a car with all motor and 50% more HP. If you added a blower to the 725hp you would have well over 1000hp! Kinda makes the 500hp seem like a Yugo, huh? And why someone would pay 50k for a 25k car with a 3k blower added to it is beyond me. Unless you simply have tons of money to waste for no reason.

A true person of knowledge appreciates all things for what they are and favors what they wish.

What kind of car do you have anyhow? And why did you buy it? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by auxois (edited 12-07-99).]

Jeffy79 Guest
    The 100hp JD we have in the barn could pull any axle off any car out there. The funny thing is 880hp is speed, it could not pull much of anything, it would die quick.

Jeff

------------------
    "That's my story and im stickin to it!"

Well, auxois That 50k just isn't for a 25k car with a 3k blower attached. It is a 100% rebuild of the whole car. complete suspension, motor, drive train, rims + tires. Well worth the 50k.

As for not liking GM. I think that there products are ****.
    My father has owened nothing but fords, and so has my brother, so As you can see I have been brought up on fords.

Also I have worked on them since I was very young. I learned everything from my father and brother. And as for working on them I think fords have a much better layout than GM does.

That is my opinion and you don't have to agree with me.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

HAHAHAHA.....You guys kill me...Man How did Clock locks on a CPU ever tie into Auto 101?

I must have missed something..

Anyone into 4x4"s...I have a 79 bronco, Jacked and Backed with 13 inches of lift&
    44 inch Boggers. 35spline 9inch with Detroit locker( in back ) and a 35 spline 9 inch with Detroit locker chopped with dana 60 steering components( in front ) with a 205 np transcase and a 351 Boss engine (b/b)(Roller Rockers) thats a 351 w with C heads. Performer intake and a edlebrk 650cfm carb HEI ing. I dont want more than 400 Hp, Cause breaking **** 30 miles from the Nearest Highway is no dam fun.

As for Fuel economy...well errr because of the 4:56 ratio, I get about 9 miles to the gallon.....hahahaha Dam that SUcks.

You ask Why.....??? I like Fly fishing.

I guess its no different than having a computer Overclocked to the nads just to Play Tetris....

You guys never cease to amaze me.

If any of ya wanna see the Bronco...Let me know And Ill post ya a pic. I have a pic of me and my bronco doing the deed in about 5 feet of mud.
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

Man....there are some real gearheads around here. Personally, I like just about everything that's been mentioned so far!! After numerous fast cars (and crashes as well), I've given up on hot-rods. One that I really liked was my 68' Camaro RS w/327 and Powerglide trans. That car would scream! Won a lot of street races with it. But my favorite was my 72 Pymouth 'Cuda. One motor was the 440 magnum which was fast but heavy. I then switched to a 340 built w/11:1 pistons, forged rods/crank, high-rise intake, Holley 750 double-pump, 3500 stall speed converter, and 4:11 rear gears. Never lost a race with that. Of course, we race light-to-light or quarter-mile here so I never needed top speed. Someday I want a perfectly restored Dodge Challenger w/340 six-pack, painted Hemi-Orange just to cruise the streets with my kids......Man I'm getting old!!! Oh well, my .02 cents worth!!!
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

Ya gota love Mopar for Highend Horse power...

One of my Fav's Dream Cars would be A
    Hemi Cuda.....If you could keep it on the ground it was a rocket....But no I dont own one.....Dam again!

My Dad always told me When the Hemi's come out to Play....Its time to Pack up and go Home....He had a GTO with a 427 rat and he would get smoked by SOme of the Charger Hemi's and Superbirds.

He could run good with the 44o six's tho.

GTO's are nice. A friend of mine had one w/396 that was sweet. Also knew a guy who had a Hemi Roadrunner. Man that was fast! Problem is, we were young and dumb, and we crashed almost all of them. I've got a few scars to prove speed hurts sometimes!!! I also owned a Dodge Charger with a 383 that was sweet. Had a couple of Camaro's too. Just sold my last sweet little ride a little over a year ago. It was a 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 w/WS6 suspension package and every option you can think of. Came from the factory with aluminum driveshaft, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. It was sweet and very fast. Sold it in 1998 and it only had 26,000 miles on it! Wasted a few Camaro's and Mustang's with that car. Only drove it when it was sunny and 75 degree's!!! Now I drive either my Ford Ranger or the wife's Dodge Neon! No speed in either of those!!! Sh*t happens with age!!!
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

Another Mopar Sleeper is the Dart Swinger with a 340 sixpack. ( Nasty little monster)

Other than My Bronco, I drive my wife's Neon....hahahaha..

I use to own a 91 laser Turbo...( same as Talon)...with an HKS EVC/Intake/exahust.
    Dam little 2ltre engine...chucked out close to 250hp. Brutal Torque steer tho..

------------------
    Live hard Die young and leave a good looking corpse. LOL

Jopey,

500hp simply isn't much, at all. I know 100 or so guys on the f-body(camaro) site with over 500hp, alot of them with over 600hp, and most of them have spent less than $5k on the motor to get that kind of power! I guess what I am trying to say, is that the car is cool looking and all, but it just doesn't impress me much to spend $25k-$35k extra for only 200 more hp. I would say that everything that they install on their $56k car(s351 according to saleen.com), should cost no more than $10k. Simply put, its just a ripoff. Its not some great feat of engineering, its the same thing Hotrodders have been doing for decades, but at only a fraction of the cost, and all the fun of having a hot rod, is the satisfaction of building it yourself. But, I agree, it is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Hey, I guess I am the same way as you, my father had Corvettes, 55-57 Chevies, Novas, Chevelles, etc, and thats what I was raised on my whole life. I will probably never own a Ford, but its not really because I do not like Fords, its just that they are "the other team" so to speak, kinda like football, you gotta be true to your team, ya know? Anyhow, happy hotrodding guys, we seem to have alot of gearheads in here!!

Speaking of football, my team just won again this week, and they are still tied for #1 in their division! If they win next week, they will be #1 in their division and most assuredly headed for the playoffs! wooohooo!

I'm not saying who they are, because I'm curious if anyone will guess.

[This message has been edited by auxois (edited 12-08-99).]

Wow, I guess nobody is into Football here? Well, here's a big hint: NFC Central.

I was gonna reply earlier today but I read ur post again and u said your team is tied for first in ur division. so that leaves my team out of the picture.

I watch some but not much if I am around I will pop it on but I really could careless until playoffs.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

Did someone say Horsepower??? I never thought there were so many computer geek/gearheads out there! Maybe HWC should add another forum for Engine-overclocking lol(yeah well that was bad) anyway. I think new technology is great for Computers, but for cars I'll keep the late 60's. I mean sure, my 92 Eagle Talon Tsi runs low 14's and still gets 30mpg and has a top speed of arround 145 mph, and corners like mad with the 16 alloys and w/ handleing package. BUT! I would jump it of a clif for my 1969 Camaro. I bough it in 1998 when I was concidering on a new 98' Z-28. I found the 69 instead and restored it myself.(there is something about building your own sh!t, computers or cars!) It was a plain-jane, but I put a 3" cowl hood on it and 15 in rallys, painted it Lamans Metalic Blue, and drop in a 350, hogged out .040, w/ Manley Sportsmaster rods and pistions, a CompCams hydrolic roller cam, the heads are Dart Ironeagles(wich I got at a swap meet for a mere 600 bubcks compleat with Manley Racemaster valves, what a steal)and on top sits an Edelbrock Performer Airgap w/ a 750 Holly double-pumper. All together I have much more in my engine than I do in my computer, but who cares, its only $$$ and a hell of alot cheaper, and more fun than buying a new camaro for 25 grand! I figure I pushing between 550-600 horse and runs mid-11's with 355's in back. I would love to go to an overdrive tranny and jump to 411's or 456's, but I'm happy as hell for now. there are many many more gooding I've also added but I've already rambled on long enough. If anyone else wants to talk HP or MHZ, let me know, just for the hell of it! Laterzzz
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

Oh, so many things to reply to...where do I start?
    I think one of the main reasons for speed limiters on cars is because of the limitations of the tires, as millenko says. My 94 LHS is limited to 112 mph due to the tire rating, but Road & Track says it could easily do 125 mph.

Splatt, you have a 98 Concorde, I have a 94 LHS. I am assuming your Concorde is the newer body style, which is similar to the newer LHS. For my generation LHS, the bodies were very different, but as with the newer generation they shared the same basic platform. BTW, you are probably aware that the Concorde and LHS share the same basic chassis (the LH chassis) as the Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, and Chrysler 300M, but did you know that the Dodge Viper is also based on the LH platform? That is the reason why the engines in our front-wheel-drive cars are pointed end-to-end, rather than side-to-side, because that is the layout the chassis was designed for. Obviously, the Viper is the most different version of the LH, but it is the same basic chassis. So, which engine to you have? From the performance you describe, I am assuming the 3.5L, but I could be wrong. That is a great engine, with 253 hp. Me engine is an older version of that making 214 hp, and in my 3600 lb car, it moves it pretty good.

auxois, the other limitation of the LS1 in the F-body compared to the Y-body is the camshaft. Corvettes have a more aggressive camshaft than their Camaro/Firebird cousins. Also, on a side note, performance magazines have always said that the horsepower ratings for the LS1 cars (any of them) seem to be conservative based on the acceleration power they have. That means that while GM says the Corvette makes 345 hp, the magazines estimate that they have more than that. They, as do I, also believe that the LS1 has a LOT more power hidden inside it, just waiting to be unleashed, but since it so new a motor, people are still figuring out how. I know that GM is considering using a 385 hp version in a future Corvette, and they have probably gotten higher than that. Keep in mind that was with tuning of the computer, intake and exhaust, etc., NOT a displacement increase (it was still a 5.7L). Finally, about Corvette vs. Camaro, you are right about the reasons for keeping the Camaro below the Corvette. And as much as I love the Corvette and desperately wish I could afford one, I think if I had the money to buy a Corvette, I would probably instead by a Camaro (or Trans Am...probably a Trans Am). Why? Because for the price of a Corvette, I could get either F-body, and with the change left over I could spend that on aftermarket parts for the F-body and get it PAST the performance level of the Corvette, and have an extra pair of seats as well (as small as they are, they're still there). Now sure, spend the same amount of upgrade money on the Corvette as you do on the Camaro and the Corvette will always be faster, but what I am saying is that for exactly the same price (say, $45,000), I could have a great-looking great-performing Corvette, or an almost-as-great-looking F-body with better performance.

Jopey, Fords are better than GM's? How? Reliability? OK, sure, Ford gets better ratings in that area. That must have been what you meant, because it sure as hell wasn't performance. Look at the test results in Road & Track, or any other magazine. I remember the comparison test from about 2 years ago, when a Z-28 out-performed a Cobra. That is the regular Camaro beating a special Ford.

TN, yeah I have seen pictures of the engine bays of Jaguars. Hoses and crap going all over the place, I doubt you could see the ground under the car.

Oh, Jopey, one more thing, about Ford and Jaguar. Yes Ford owns Jaguar now (but fortunately they still let Jaguar, and Aston Martin, pretty much run themselves). But TN was talking about a 1976 Jaguar, which is Long LONG before Ford bought Jaguar, so don't even try to say Ford had anything to do with it.

------------------
    jjr512 "The Terminator"
    Justin J. Rebbert
    rebbertj@columbia.aim-smart.com

now these two cars are have real acceleration

just thought I would put them in there.

------------------
    whatever

Thread Information