Where do you think the "multiplier lock" is? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you think the "multiplier lock" is?

Well it looks like you're off the hook, TN, there is no such pin. The PPGA pins are labeled as a matrix (ie A3, B2, etc) and the numbers only go to 37.

On the SEPP (Slot-1) version, A43 and B43 are both data lines. No, not a good idea to disconnect those at all!

------------------
    -=DrFoo {Sysop} Third Wave BBS (941) 355-7136=-
    http://dsl150-37.cftnet.com
    -=DrFoo {Sysop} Third Wave BBS (941) 355-7136=-
    http://163.125.153.98

>This is the kind of information you might >not want to publish though. First you might >well get some negative attention from >Intel, but perhaps more importantly you >wouldn't really want to help out the >remarkers would you?

More likely though is that he has the info, but through a source that illegally disclosed proprietary information, and needs to have a legal source before he can disclose what he knows. To do otherwise would subject him to prosecution (or threats to prosecute), which Intel has been known to do. For instance, some fellow figured out some of the undocumented features of the Pentium processors and has been subjected to constant harassment since he put the info on a web site, on the grounds that that info could only be obtained from some one who had signed a non-disclose agreement.

I have a radical solution!

Boycott Intel

go with AMD and their new Athelon chip!
    there is no multiplier lock and it runs on a 200 FSB
    eventually Intel will realise their mistake and unlock the multiplier!
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

Boycotting Intel won't do jack-sh*t. As long as they feel they can get away with it, they're going to do it. The Pentium name is too popular for the mass market to turn away from it because of the dissatisfaction of a few people the company doesn't like in the first place.

The ONLY thing that's going to change Intel's mind is to take legal action. I mean, it's practically fraud. They build something, and put it out for sale, then they make a little mark in it, and turn around and sell it at two, sometimes three hundred percent of the original price. And we KNOW that little mark does NOT cost that much to put in there!

(The "mark" is a metaphor for the multiplier lock, by the way)

Any legal experts out there have any idea what I'm talking about? There's gotta be some law that says a company can't do that.
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

Racas...then thier should be a law that says a car should not have a govenor to limit it's top speed. If you start to think thier alot of things that have limiters on them.

And might I add they all suck!

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

Dammit!

I knew this would happen! You've shattered my dreams, jopey! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Seriously, though... The governor on a car is designed to limit top speed because it's illegal to go over a certain speed (Break 100 and get caught, you in a sh*tload of trouble).

And it's also highly dangerous to go that fast in a car. I believe that cars are also listed as "weapons" in some of the government's books. I don't think the governor is put in place by the car company, I think it's put there by the government (either by regulation or such)

What are you talking about (governor)? These are only present in very few engines (cheap cars and mopeds). The truth is that most car engines simply don't have enough horsepower to push those speeds. A lot of newer cars can hit 100mph easily...do you really think it does any good to put a governor on it?
    "There are only two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Watch that one, DiabloBoy...

My mother's 1994 Camaro Z28 had a governor on it. The thing wouldn't go past 95, and the engine was only running at 2000. Are ou telling me that a Z28 doesn't have the horsepower to go above 95?

As to your reasons WHY governors are installed... Do you really think that you need a mechanical device to limit a car from going a speed it CAN'T go? The governor is installed to prevent cars from going above a certain speed.

[This message has been edited by racas (edited 12-01-99).]

I always knew Camaro's sucked, but I didn't realize they were that bad. That's exactly what I want... A sports car that can't break 100... That would be fun pulling up next to it with my old '88 Acura legend that barely runs on the highway, and winning a race cuz she stops at 95, and I'll still be going strong at 110.

------------------
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

OK Diablo, I don't think you are a car buff. Governors are present in quite a few cars. My '92 (w/ a 305) Camaro cuts off at 115mph and it only has 225HP. The newer Camaro Z28s (w/ 305hp)I believe cut off at around 115mph too. These chips can easily be taken out and replaced with performance chips that will kill the governor and increase hp. As for me I'm going to get a Camaro SS (320+hp baby) and replace it the chip.

SkrUboL...And as for your comment about the '88 Acura vs a '94 Z28, when you finally hit 95mph in your Acura, I'll be wayyyyy down the road with the Z28. Point being, if your going to race a Z28 in an Acura, make sure you have a good head start and hope he hasn't replaced his chip.

[This message has been edited by LaoChe (edited 12-01-99).]

**** my buddy had a 93 Ford Lightning that would blow the doors off just about anything. And it hit a rev limiter when it was going 104MHP. This would suck when they went by us because they had more top speed. **** we blew a newer mustang off the line and we were towing a boat to boot.

And another fact not every car is as easy as just poping a chip. some you have to add extra computers and wiring harnesses in to it.

Diablovision: As for very few cars that have limiters are limited to cheap cars and mopeds. what about the 99 Ford Lightning. IT'S top speed is 140MPH and that is limited by wind drag. so does that mean that it is a cheap piece of ****.
    whatever

now I know how people double post (triple in my case)...sorry

Sorry Jopey, I was talking Camaros. All you have to do with them is just pop in another chip and your are ready to go. Not to big of a hassle.

Now let me tell you about speed and Z28s. I was crusing down the highway at 114mph (115mph the governor kicks in) and a '98 Z28 pulled up beside me. He then turn and looked at me and then gunned it. He took off so fast I thought I was standing still.

Laoche time for a chip!!! Hey who cares that 99 Lightning will take a Porche boxer in the 0 to 60 times. Now that would ba a sight and it is stock from the manufacturer like that. No chips needed.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

Thread Information