Boycott
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Boycott

Boycott

We all need to boycott two things:
    1. Gateway, HP, Dell. They hate overclockers.
    2. Intel (except for celerys because thats the only thing that intel makes for overclockers) we need to get a point to them saying that the need to sell versions of chips that have unlocked multipliers. Also not to advertise cpus that you cant get.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

I really doubt one of those companies is going to notice a boycott by people like us, cuz we don't have the advertising bucks to spread the word...

------------------
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

An unlocked Celeron would be nice. Intel could program the chip to identify itself to BIOS as "XXX" instead of "Celeron" so at POST there would be some mention of the fact that its not a "real" retail/OEM unit. This would prevent people from "remarking" or overclocking a chip and selling it as a retail "multiplier locked" version. You can't change the identity of a chip by merely raising the multiplier, the identity is programmed in. I would buy an unlocked chip if they offered one, but I wouldn't pay too much more than I would for an unlocked one. Hell, I'm already on a 100mhz FSB so my bus speeds are perfect anyway. An unlocked multiplier would not get me any faster, I don't think.

[This message has been edited by TNproud2b (edited 12-11-99).]
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Hey guys, I agreed with you all about Intel mostly, but seems like the PIII 500 e is pretty overclockable.

INTEL... GREAT... COUNT ME IN...

------------------
    AMD INSIDE.
    "DIE RAMBUS DIE"

I already boycott all of the above except intel..

If intel goes out of business, where else am I going to get a 577 chip for $50..?
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

You can buy a two year old athlon @500 and o/c it to 577 or higher.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

The only acceptable companies to buy pre-made puters from are alienware, aberdeen, and falcon northwest.
    If everyone else has seen my other posts about them, do not think that i am a peddler for them. But if I had to choose one of those companies it would be aberdeen. Alienware and Falcon-nw make gaming computers for rich people. Aberdeen makes a range of customizable puters and i just told my grandmother to buy an aberdeen.
    www.aberdeeninc.com
    and i said do not think that i am a peddler.
    I hate peddlers. I just love that company.

Two-year-old Athlon? WTF? when did they come out? i thought it was this summer?!?!

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/

No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

No i meant for him to wait for two years until the athlon is old.

DOes Kryotech build complete sys or just cooling units?
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

Give me a break Panda, with a Celeron 577, I'm rubbing shoulders with top of the line CPU's, for $50, TODAY..

How do you think a an athlon 500 will stack up 2 years from now?
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Thread Information