Thread: Tom Leufkens Peltier any good?

Tom Leufkens Peltier any good?

I just ordered one today for my system.

PIII 500 @ 600 stable with Vantec
    TNT2 Ultra with default setting!
    IBM 13.5G 7200RPM ATA66 with just cooler
    128MB PC133 crucial memory
    Addtronics case with dual 80mm fans.

It is rock stable now even after running SETI@HOME for 2 days. I think it is due to cold weather. I ordered that 50watts peltier kit today for my system to make sure to cool it well. CPU stays around 23.5C and it was as low as 18C with RAIN on. I feel that it is very cool considering that it is running at 600MHZ @ 2.3V with Vantec cooler. Heatsink is very cold and feel no warm at all. Case is rather cold inside because of NOISY case fans (damn strong) with just cooler for HD.
    Would that Peltier help or did I waste money to already stable system?

Thanks in advance

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tim Lee (edited 12-08-99).]
    PIII 650@806
    PC133 128MB ECC
    ABIT BE6
    TNT2 Ultra
    WD SCSI2 10K 5.2ms 18.3G
    Vortex2 w/ digital out
    Sony MHC-5500 Digital Signal Processer - 30 equalizers and Dynamic Sound

Oh shoot! I really wished you had posted this message before you ordered the peltier. I am running an Alpha with PIII 500 o/c to 620 @ 2.3 v. I also tried Tom's peltier. I dunno about how successful you will be, but I can tell you that from my experience, the peltier only lowered the cpu temp from 28 c (using only Alpha) to 26 (Alpha and tom's peltier) ... and that was using the 12v lead! Personally, I think the PIII when o/c to 600+ just generates too much heat for tom's peltier to cool significantly. I am currently using tom's peltier for my lil bro's c300A and that seems to work better (he is running around 17c). I guess the celerons (at least the 300a) just generates way less heat than a PIII. Check out www.overclockers.com. They have a article on heat generated by cpu when o/c (so you have an idea of how much heat your peltier has to pump to see a big reduction in temperature). Anyhow, check this site out, they have some info on peltier (and lots of links to peltier manufacturer)
    http://www.isjm.com/tst/heatsink/peltier.htm

BTW, this is kinda cool (no pun intended), but I try letting the peltier/alpha run with no cpu and frost was collecting on the cold side of the peltier in less than a minute!

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-08-99).]

I was just about to order one to super my already cool computer down. I can get it down to 30 degrees F without any Peliters. I was hoping to buy one to see If I could hit the 700MHZ mark. I can run a stable 630mhz, And I can almost load windows @682mhz. Currently I am OC a Celeron 366. And I have started to shop for Pelters. Any good places to ck out?

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

try www.tetech.com get a frost71 , its 77 watts. You guys can use the kit from tom's, just switch peltiers.. Also, are you guys using 1 or 2 power supplys, I found a seperate supply for the peltier is the trick
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

check out
    http://www.isjm.com/tst/heatsink/index.html
    There is a link to several peltier manufacturer there, and you know what? Peltier are pretty cheap (around $20).

Hey jopey, check out www.overclockers.com
    They have a table that tells you what kind of heat your cpu generates when you o/c (they also have a excel file that you can download to calculate heat generated also). I heard that generally peltier are 55% efficient, so you would have to aim for a peltier that is twice as powerful as the heat your cpu generates if you want to cool your cpu drastically and o/c alot more.
    If you are running your C366 (assuming slot 1)at 682 and 2.2, your cpu is generating 50.1 watts.

thankx Niteowl. I guess I will be getting something in the 70 watt range or maybe strapping 2 toms side by side.

As for a power supply I am gonna use a AC to DC converter. it puts out like 10-12 amps at 12v.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

I you want a high quality peltier www.tedist.com is the place to go the frost's are really good. If you want a kit, check out www.coolwhip.dk and their Cool-Whip upgrades which comes in 59W and 80W models. They are made for the Cool-Whips but fit other H/S's as well, send a mail and ask if you are uncertain.

I got a TL peltier a week ago and it seems fine to me. I put it on my k6-2 450 @ 560 2.7 volts. My cpu temp has went from 32.c (when it was @ 504) to 10.c @ 560. Just remember, if you get one thats too much wattage, then you will get other problems like condisation! So thats something to look at. Have Fun!
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

Just ordered two Frost-74. Lets see if they are any good if I hook them up in parallel. I will probably have to get another p/s.

I have a K6-2 400 @ 500 @ 2.6 volts with a Tom Leufkens peltier kit and an Alpha 7HO. My cpu temp is about 31/33c (after some gaming)without and with the case cover on. The alpha has an extra fan blowing across it and doesn't feel very warm considering it has an extra 50 watts added to it in addition to the K6 wattage. I have an extra supply for the 12 volts to the peltier. Is my peltier defective or is it more likely I have air pockets on either side of the cold plate, or what? 500 isn't bad, but I'd like to see 5 x 105 (@ 100% stability). Should I just order the 77 watter?

Would that 50watts peltier be enough for my PIII 500 at 600 2.3v system? When I saw that overclockers.com PIII 500 at 50% FSB + 2.3V produces like 60watts. Since mine is only 20% FSB I wonder if it will be ok.....
    any ideas?
    Also, which heatsink should I keep? one from Tom or Vantec with dual fans?

[This message has been edited by Tim Lee (edited 12-09-99).]
    PIII 650@806
    PC133 128MB ECC
    ABIT BE6
    TNT2 Ultra
    WD SCSI2 10K 5.2ms 18.3G
    Vortex2 w/ digital out
    Sony MHC-5500 Digital Signal Processer - 30 equalizers and Dynamic Sound

Hey Tim:
    I am using an Alpha, Tom's Peltier (50w), P3BF, PIII 500 o/c to 620 @ 2.3 v. My room temperature is probably around 23. I have a wind tunnel blowing air from outside the case directly onto the processor. My cpu temperature, as you are probably wondering, is 28-30 c. When I run this setup without the peltier (and only the alpha), my temps is usually 2 c higher. BTW, I know the peltier is not defective cuz if I run my PIII 50 with FSB 66 (cpu @ 333), my temps are below zero. I can only conclude that the 50W tom's peltier can't pump out enough heat to make a significant difference with used on a PIII 500 o/c to 600+ (PIII 500 o/c to 600+ just generates too much heat). I myself am going to buy two Frost-74 peltier and run them in parallel and give that a try (my order is in the mail). I will let you know if this works when I get it.

Oh yeah, go back to overclockers site. They now have an excel file that you can download to calculate your cpu's heat generation (any FSB and core voltage).
    One more thing, becareful with the wires from the peltier. One of mine came off after I installed and reinstalled it a few times (I had to resolder it and it seems to be fine now).

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-09-99).]

Thread Information