Help with Cascading peltiers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Cascading peltiers

Help with Cascading peltiers

Does anyone know where I can get some GOOD info on setting up two peltiers to cascade? I am thinking about trying this out but I would like more info before I shell out $40 for another peltier (I have one now, and I am not satisfy with it's "coldness")

Try this link:
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/29oct99.shtml

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    matrix.crosswinds.net/~sverresjo/duckman.htm

Thanks for the info.
    BTW, gimme some spec on your stereo (saw your homepage)? I am (or used to be) into HiFi too. And what genere of audio signal do you run on your HiFi?

My speakers are:
    DanSpeak Multi 4.0, handmade from Denmark(2 X 6,5" Vifa mid/woofers, and ScanSpeak Revelator) bandwidth: 26Hz-25KHz

Power amp:
    The End MK 3.1, aprox 2 X 180W, 900W PSU/120 000uF capacitors.A Kit from LC-Audio Technology(also from Denmark)

Pre Amp: Home made passive with an attenuator from LC-Audio Technology and an Elna line-out switch.

all internal cables pure silver/teflon.
    xternal cables from AudioQuest

I'll try to update my site within a week or so, with both Hi-Fi-links, system-specs/pics(puter)and hopefully a completely new layout/design. I'll ask a friend of mine for some advice in the web-design part

Duckman

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:

Cascading peltiers for cpu cooling is extremely impractical. You have to remember that the second peltier has to move not only the heat of the CPU, but also the heat of the first peltier. This means it has to be about twice as large to get equal benefeit. It also means you'll need a twice as large heatsink. You're better off using two peltiers in parralel if you can.

------------------
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

Duckman:
    nice stuff! I wish I knew more about electronics so I can order kits and put my own stuff together and take pride in the craftmanship of my own labour .... oh waits, that's why I o/c!

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-08-99).]

SkrUbol sounded like he was making sense. I just acquired two 50watt TECs and was wondering how effective the "cascade" setup would be. You would end up with something that was less efficient than "parallel" TECs by virtue of the fact that the first TECs heat output must be absorbed into the second TEC, intead of straight into a heatsink or waterblock. The energy loss is in the conversion from TEC to TEC to Heatsink - not TEC to Heatsink. Add to that the fact that TECs are producing heat of their own just to operate. There must be some benefit to a cascade arrangement, I would bet it recovers quickly from heat spikes, and generally works better than a single TEC- although its less efficient. Hell if you've got one CPU and two TECs laying around, what else would you try but stacking them?
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

earlier Duckman send me a link to overclockers.au. They had a article on cascading and they needed 3 peltier. They used one peltier to cool the cpu and then stacked the other two to pump the heat from the first peltier and cpu. But I am beginning to think it is just best to get one good peltier from a reputable TEC manufracturer.
    BTW, that site stated that most TEC are only 55% efficient. That's why you would need two peltier to pump the heat from one peltier and one cpu.

BTW, DUCKMAN, did you get your name from the cartoon Duckman? I loved that cartoon (and it's sick sense of humor to some, but not me).

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-08-99).]

Oh BTW, if I had two peltier I might try to use one peltier to cool my core and the second to cool my cache (I have a PIII). But I guess that wouldn't apply to your celeron, TNproud2b (and anyhow, you got your water cooling going anyways).

NiteOwl: Yep! the cartoon-Duckman rules!!!
    Best thing to do when using paralell TECs is to make one hotplate and one coldplate:

This is what I did with my 300A, and it worked great(ran at 558MHz)

Duckman

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:

As an added bonus, that setup won't leak all over your stuff like a hooch cooler can (will).
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

but then you lose an execuse to upgrade.

AND it's noisy like HELL!! (the Alpha that is)

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:

Oh yeah, you bet the Alpha is noisy. I think the Alpha and some of my other fans are resonating and I am getting some periodical hums.

Hey Duckman:
    if I were to run two peltier in parallel, then woudln't the peltier cover the holes where I am suppose to screw the screw into the alpha to clamp the whole assembly together? From the pics I saw (that you posted), I see some new holes at the top of the cold plate .... can you explain (or tell me where there are more pics?).

Thread Information