Overclocking problem, please help me
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking problem, please help me

Overclocking problem, please help me

Hello again to all
    My system is a PIII450@558, original heatsink and fan from intel, but with some extra fans blowing on to the cpu and inside my case, also the case is open, the MB is a Asus P2B-F with 128 MB PC-100, my hd is a IBM 10GB 7200 rpm IDE, and a quantum 2.5gb, i have a millenium 2 pci card and i added a new creative TNT2 32 mb AGP card, (note that when i use one of the display adatpters i disable the other), now i have tried to go to 133 fsb, it posts ok, but then i get the error message telling me that the command.com is invalid or corrupted, i put it again at 124fsb and is ok, i have also temporarly instaled a SCSI adapter to use a HP cd writer, can this one be the cause of the problem? i dont think is a heat realted problem cause i go to the bios and the temps are 30 C for cpu and 21 for MB.
    thanks for any help.
    I like overclocking, and also any tips to overclock my TNT2?

Well, If you are hitting 133 Mhz bus on a P2B-F you are overclocking your AGP at 87Mhz 133 at 2/3 - Your harddrive should be fine if you run your bus at 33 Mhz and you SCSI should be fine at 33 Mhz bus - You might have to go with the PCI video card to hit that frequency. The P2B-f has a choice of 33 Mhz or 44.3 Mhz for the PCI bus at 133 Mhz memory speed. If you choose the 44.3 your harddrive might not like it and will give you errors like the ones you got.

And you can overclock the TNT2 pop off the heatsink if you have the one with the tefflon pins and put some heatsink compound on it. They add a 486 heatsink fan to the top. The screw holes light up perfectly with the groves in the heatsink. If you have a heatsink that is glued on try just adding the heatsink fan. Unless, you want to pry it off and go with an aftermarket heatsink. I have seen people put very large heatsinks on the TNT2 but you loose the PCI slot or two next the the AGP. It's your call. With the 486 fan you loose 1 slot. It you have know room or slots to spare you can get one of those little gamma blowers they sell at Radio Shack and aim it at the chip from the side. Hope this helps.

Although it is probably true that you will have AGP problem at 133 FSB with a CL TNT2, your AGP shouldn't give you errors like "command.com is invalid or corrputed". I have a CL TNT2 myself and I used to run it with my PII 400 @ FSB 133 and the AGP doesn't crash until I try to play a game. Your problem probably has to do with CPU, HD or Ram. Sorry, I don't know enought to tell you which which it is exactly, but I know enought that it probably isn't your AGP right now, but that doesn't mean that I am saying you won't have trouble with AGP at 133 FSB, cuz you probably will.
    Maybe try a slower HD PIO mode or disable UDMA? I heard these might work, but I myself have not tried these (as my HD works fine even at FSB 140, BTW, it is a quantum 13 cx).

Ok guys, thanks a lot
    i will try tonight to change the pio settings for my hard disk, and and try to see if my AGP is getting to hot, cause i wanna see if my cpu can go to 600
    i will post it soon my results, is just im a little busy, im in macau and we are preparing for some government transition here.

Government transition? Let me get this right. The current government is being overthrown, there's widespread panic and chaos in the streets. Machine gun bursts fill the air, people are screaming, and you want to get your P3 to 600mhz. You are an absolute overclocking legend. I love you, man..sniff, sniff
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

TNproud2b: Now, don't get emotional on us, but i agree, I think we have a real die hard overclocker here!!

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    matrix.crosswinds.net/~sverresjo/duckman.htm

HAHAHAHA u guys are very funny
    i live in macau and we have a portuguese administration, and on the 20th it will return to chinese administration, just like it happened in Hong Kong in 97, got it?
    But yes im a overclocker hehehe no matter what hahaha

Hey Manchas:
    been there, done that (I am from Hong Kong). And don't worry, the sun will still rise tomorrow, and we will still want to push the "wall" further back!
    BTW, my aunt is from Macau.

Siamese Guest
    So any dif since the turn over NITe owl??
    Im visiting family there this xmas.

Hey guys, i would like to remember that i was with some problem going up to 600 hehhee
    i checked my settings and i used 133/33.3, so with the pci running on the default speed i guess it shouldnt be the HD right?
    but i did get the invalid command.com error
    i will try something again and i will let u know later

hi again
    i tried to disable in BIOS the bios shadow, put the cas to 3, set the hard disk to pio 2, 1 and 3 (fsb 133/33) and is always the same, when it starts to load windows, now i get the error that cannot find command.dom, win.com and some other files
    is this my cpu that cant handle, or maybe my ram?
    also the cpu temp was at 38c so its not heat problem right?

Something is wrong with the hard drive. If its really on a 33mhz bus, you shouldn't be having any problems. Are you running EZ BIOS or some other kind hard drive formatting/partitioning tool? It looks just like the boot sector of your harddrive is missing. Will it boot from a bootable floppy (Windows Startup disk)? Check those BIOS settings one more time, especially anything that affects UDMA, IDE, or hard drive. Its acting like its running on a too-fast PCI bus speed( and you say its 33mhz, so that ain't a problem), or the boot sector is corrupt, or BIOS is set wrong. Strange , usually booting is not a problem - loading the OS is where most folks crash. I'll keep thinking about it...
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Manchas,

Seems your CPU cache is not handling the 300Mhz... try increasing your L2 Latency or even disabling it. If it works, your problem is you L2.

Saimese:
    I dunno. I live in Toronto right now. But I have buttloads of relatives still in Hong Kong and I have not heard of any problems yet. Anyhow, have fun! And watch your bags at the airport!

Thread Information