Best video card for overclocking.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Best video card for overclocking.

Best video card for overclocking.

it seems like the video card that you use affects the overclockability of your system. as i said in my earlier messages, i'm getting a Soyo 6BA+IV and a Celery 366.

now, i'm not sure of which video card to get. i want something that won't affect my overclockability, but still get good performance. i'm a bit tight on the budget, so, i guess we should take money into consideration.

looking forward to your suggestions.

------------------
    #!/bin/sh

cat /usr/info
    socket drop (sdrop)
    sdrop@spyring.com
    #!/bin/sh

cat /usr/info
    socket drop (sdrop)
    sdrop@spyring.com

Well, a pci card could be better than agp currently because many boards will have a 1/4 setting for pci over 124 whereas the agp will remain at 2/3. There is no 1/2 (except on the athlon boards I believe). So agp would be more o/c'd if you went over 120's. However, TNT2 is ok for o/c, the V3 is great, with a fan. Also, if you want cheap the V3-2k is well under $100 in agp or pci...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

I,m currently running a Matrox g400 vanilla/ with a tennmax cooler on it/ I'm runnin at 150 fsb ( p3 450 at 675 ) , and... I overclocked my card with Matrox's utility... its at 112 = clock/ 142/ memory/ 189... No missing pixels/ no probs whatsoever... and fast ??? Way faster than my v550 pci card I had in here...
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

It doesn't really matter with the Soyo 6BA+ IV, cause it automatically changes the PCI and AGP multipliers to maintain a relatively normal bus speed

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Hey, Machupo, are you sure the 6BA+IV locks the agp around 66? I have not seen any bx boards that is capable of locking the agp. I know that some soyo boards can lock the pci bus (the 6BA+III and 6BA+IV), but I thought the agp is derived by the FSB and your agp divider directly, regardless of your pci (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I know that some TNT 2 (vanilla) and TNT2 ultra are capable of 124 FSB and I have tried an Asus Geforce and that was stable at FSB 133. My friend is running a PIII450 @ 600 with FSB of 133 and he is using a G400 Max.
    BTW, even thought some agp boards can't handle FSB of 133, you can always set agp appature to 4 mb and disable side banding. But that might cause you to lose some performance (but others here have posted that they didn't lose any performances at all). But you are running a celeron, so high FSB like 133 are not likely to affect you (I think it would be a miracle if you can hit FSB of 124 ... that would mean your c366 is running at 682 MHz! WOW, did any one see that c366 weez by?)

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-05-99).]

i think the fastest c366 i've seen was 735mhz or something else rediculous... six stacked peltiers or something

me? i just like my 500 lawn at 805mhz

Machupo
    AMD Athlon 500 (downbinned 650) @ 805Mhz w/ FSB of 115Mhz X 2
    Asus K7M 1.04 Mobo
    Alpha P3125 heatsink / fans w/ cache spacers
    256MB Toshiba 8ns PC 100 SDRAM
    V3 3500 TV AGP @ 191Mhz
    DVD / CD-R / SB Live! / 3Com 10/100 and all that other junk

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Thread Information