Best video card for overclocking.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Best video card for overclocking.

Best video card for overclocking.

it seems like the video card that you use affects the overclockability of your system. as i said in my earlier messages, i'm getting a Soyo 6BA+IV and a Celery 366.

now, i'm not sure of which video card to get. i want something that won't affect my overclockability, but still get good performance. i'm a bit tight on the budget, so, i guess we should take money into consideration.

looking forward to your suggestions.

------------------
    #!/bin/sh

cat /usr/info
    socket drop (sdrop)
    sdrop@spyring.com
    #!/bin/sh

cat /usr/info
    socket drop (sdrop)
    sdrop@spyring.com

Well, a pci card could be better than agp currently because many boards will have a 1/4 setting for pci over 124 whereas the agp will remain at 2/3. There is no 1/2 (except on the athlon boards I believe). So agp would be more o/c'd if you went over 120's. However, TNT2 is ok for o/c, the V3 is great, with a fan. Also, if you want cheap the V3-2k is well under $100 in agp or pci...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I,m currently running a Matrox g400 vanilla/ with a tennmax cooler on it/ I'm runnin at 150 fsb ( p3 450 at 675 ) , and... I overclocked my card with Matrox's utility... its at 112 = clock/ 142/ memory/ 189... No missing pixels/ no probs whatsoever... and fast ??? Way faster than my v550 pci card I had in here...
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

It doesn't really matter with the Soyo 6BA+ IV, cause it automatically changes the PCI and AGP multipliers to maintain a relatively normal bus speed

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Hey, Machupo, are you sure the 6BA+IV locks the agp around 66? I have not seen any bx boards that is capable of locking the agp. I know that some soyo boards can lock the pci bus (the 6BA+III and 6BA+IV), but I thought the agp is derived by the FSB and your agp divider directly, regardless of your pci (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I know that some TNT 2 (vanilla) and TNT2 ultra are capable of 124 FSB and I have tried an Asus Geforce and that was stable at FSB 133. My friend is running a PIII450 @ 600 with FSB of 133 and he is using a G400 Max.
    BTW, even thought some agp boards can't handle FSB of 133, you can always set agp appature to 4 mb and disable side banding. But that might cause you to lose some performance (but others here have posted that they didn't lose any performances at all). But you are running a celeron, so high FSB like 133 are not likely to affect you (I think it would be a miracle if you can hit FSB of 124 ... that would mean your c366 is running at 682 MHz! WOW, did any one see that c366 weez by?)

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-05-99).]

i think the fastest c366 i've seen was 735mhz or something else rediculous... six stacked peltiers or something

me? i just like my 500 lawn at 805mhz

Machupo
    AMD Athlon 500 (downbinned 650) @ 805Mhz w/ FSB of 115Mhz X 2
    Asus K7M 1.04 Mobo
    Alpha P3125 heatsink / fans w/ cache spacers
    256MB Toshiba 8ns PC 100 SDRAM
    V3 3500 TV AGP @ 191Mhz
    DVD / CD-R / SB Live! / 3Com 10/100 and all that other junk

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Thread Information