How do you oc
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do you oc

How do you oc

I have a p3 500 and it is bloody slow and i cant buy a new cpu untill after xmas. How do you oc a cpu and how long will it last if i do?

Any help would be greatful.

you do it by increasing the speed of your Front side bus. tell us more on your system. type of mother board and stuff like that then we can help you better.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

Sterling_Aug Guest
    What kind of system are you used to using if you think your P3-500 is slow?

I wish I had a slow P3-500...I am stuck with a PPro 200/512k for my kids.

I wish I had that slow PIII 500. We need to know more about your system before we can tell you how to overclock.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

I have a p3-500, via apollo pro+ advance 5/133, and supports up to a p3 800 only 1 month old. I'm not sure on anything else you need.

Also I have 128 of ram 2 x 32mb dimms (66mhz)and 1 64mb dimm(pc100), ad my pc is running at 40oC. It that too hot?

It runs slow in windows and loading apps. My old p2 400 was quicker. For games it's fine as i have got a voodoo 3 3000.

With that PC66 RAM, you aren't going to get much more speed out of your system. The most you're likely to get is 620MHz, meaning that you set your front side bus to 124, instead of the 100 it may be at. And that's not very likely.

You may also want to check that. Your system bus speed may be at 66 because of that RAM, which may be why your system runs slower.
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

Lets try again!

What are your total system specs. Including how many Harddrives, CD drives, All the cards that are installed. Also how full are the Harddrives and when was the last time you ran Defrag?

And how old is your install of windows. did you do a fresh instal of windows after replacing the motherboard?

Also how much Ram is windows seeing. maybe if that PC66 Ram is really old you might not get 100MHZ out of it. Try removing the 66mhz ram and just using the PC100.

Another thing is how much stuff is in your startup file when windows starts?

Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to see how many programs are running at the same time.

Another question are you a Download junkie, IE you try alot of stuff of the web and never uninstall it? This will slow windoz to a 386 pace!

This is good for another starting point. I have more when you get back to us.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

What are your total system specs. Including how many Harddrives, CD drives, All the cards that are installed. Also how full are the Harddrives and when was the last time you ran Defrag?
    >>1x 4.3gb (1gb free) 1x 10gb (4.5 gb free) both support UDMA 66.
    >>1x LG 40x CD-ROM & Pioneer 6x DVD.
    >>Ran defrag about 2 months ago.

And how old is your install of windows. did you do a fresh instal of windows after replacing the motherboard?
    >>I rebuild my machine about 1 every month.
    >>And yes it's a new installation of win98 SE

Also how much Ram is windows seeing. maybe if that PC66 Ram is really old you might not get 100MHZ out of it. Try removing the 66mhz ram and just using the PC100.
    >>Windows sees it all, and the PC 66 Ram isn't that old about a year old
    >>Tryed removing the RAM and still as slow

Another thing is how much stuff is in your startup file when windows starts?
    >>Startup file is empty i have even taken away all the office stuff.

Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to see how many programs are running at the same time.
    >>Exproler & systray

Another question are you a Download junkie, IE you try alot of stuff of the web and never uninstall it? This will slow windoz to a 386 pace!
    >> Yerr, but i do uninstall it.

Ok then...

When you refresh windows, do you format everything and then reinstall everything?

I have found that if your hard drives are close to full or even 3/4 they slow down alot.

As for defrag I try to do it weekly. Especcially if you install and uninstall alot. Been 2 months I would run scan disk at the same time!!!

You say it is slow in loading apps and windows. My guess is to defrag I think it will help you alot! Let us know.
    whatever

Thread Information