Maximum safe voltage
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Maximum safe voltage

Maximum safe voltage

What is the maximum safe voltag to use when overclocking my AMD K6-2 266. I have been able to get it to boot and run stably at 366 with 2.6 volts, the chip is rated at 2.2.
    Is that too high?
    When setting it at 337 (75X4.5) it almost runs fine with no voltage change.. a couple of GPFs but when I up the voltage to 2.3 it is stable.
    Please help me out here..
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. I want this chip to last as long as it can. I have my computer on 24/7 and I dont want to come home from work a month from now only to find a hole burned in the side of my case from then the processor blew because voltage was too high.

[This message has been edited by xSiLeNtDx (edited 11-29-99).]
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

you can go to 45 percent higher...no problem...design rating is 60% of 2,2
    i'm stuck...if you can help me ...see me in either support of here..!!!!
    br

AMD reccomends 2.5v as the maximum, so you are fine at 2.3v. If you can it's best to run at 100MHz fsb, but your board may not allow it. Be careful with 75 and 83 fsb. I blew a hard drive that way. I have heard that Western Digital, IBM, and Quantums are ok at high bus speeds, but watch it with Maxtors, Samsungs, Seagates, and others. I was told (and I am sure it's true) That you could run it at 100v if you had a way to keep it cool enough. Thats the priority, so it may be good to invest in a nice chunky heatsink and fan if you are concerned about what you have now. Even the Cheap $10 ones are usually pretty good for mild overclocking.

------------------
    Bleeding head good! Healed head bad!
    Beware pinkboys....The Stark Fist of Removal cometh nigh! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com

I know 2.3 is good. the question I was asking was if it was safe to up the voltage to 2.6 volts so I can run this chip at 366 from 266. (66X5.5) I was running it at that for about 30 minutes the other day and it was seeming stable and staying in the 40 degree range. I was just windering if it is safe to run it at that for long periods of time. at I mentioned in my previous post this computer never goes off.

on a CTX core(2.2 volts), 2.6 is the maximum! 40.c is not too bad, but to be better safe than sorry, try for the 30's. If you do let your computer on, I would recomend getting rain, or waterfall pro. Either of these will bring your cpu temp greatly when its idleing. You can get either of these from here: www.processor.org/files.htm good luck!
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

Thanks, I will try that. I al already useing Rain and it helps a lot.

By the way. with a thermometer probe from a thermometer from Radio Shack where is the best place to put the probe.
    I have it between the fins of the heat sink abd it measueres anything in the 20 drgree range depending on room temp. I think thats measureing more the case temp rather then the processor temp.

Having it on the heatsink is not a good indication because the more heatsink compound you put on, the worse the conduction is and the cooler the heatsink runs - you therefore think that you're running cool when in fact you're toasty warm.

The best way is to try and wedge it just underneath the metal plate, between the metal plate and the ceramic top. There is just about the right sized gap for that I think, so give it a go.

I have no heatsink compound on.. planning to get some in the future.. but a feel test tells me that it is about the temp that it tells me..
    and the probe on the thermometer I am useing it way to large to fit under that metal plate. why kind of thermometer sould I use to do that?

well placing it on the HS is not good, but not because of thermal-paste, anyway, you want it touching the cpu core.. Like most ss7 motherboards that come with the handy little termal wands... If you've ever seen one it sits in the space in the middle of the socket.. The probe then sticks up high enough to touch the cpu core, when it is placed in the socket. Some mobo's have a small hole to place a probe in, so remove your cpu and look.. If there isnt one, I dont recommend making one yourself(duh) but just wanted to be clear.. Hope this helps!
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

I run an AMD k6-2 300 on a PC chips M/B at what I thought was 100 mhz bus but have been informed it's really a 90 mhz bus. OK that out of the way...I overclocked to 4x giving me a speed of 360 mhz. The system has been working great at this setting for about 2 weeks now with no overeating and the original fan/HS. The other day I got very brave and tried 4.5x. This would hang when it started windows98 so I began to step up the voltage. It almost worked at 2.6&2.7V and I did get into safe mode but would hang whenever I clicked the mouse on anything. I then set it to 2.8V and yikes...it hung completely and would not even get into the POST. I had to clear CMOS and start from scratch...back to 360 for now. The CPU is OK after all that.
    Hardy

Thread Information