Electronics Expert advice required please
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Electronics Expert advice required please

Hybrid View

Electronics Expert advice required please

It's not rocket science to those that know:-
    I've got an internal PCI modem (Diamond) and for some unknown reason they have decided to include no jack plug output for an external speaker.

They have however included a pezio electric device on the modem that sounds horrible and has no form of volume control.

I know I have the option of turn this off altogether but I do like to hear what is going on when it is trying to connect.

my question is, how can I output this to my speakers in my moniter. I'm sure it must be possible to build a simple circuit board to convert the pezio signal to work the small speakers in my moniter.

Any ideas? I colud just change the modem but I've found this to be the most stable I've used so far..........BladeRunner

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 11-28-99).]

The problem is that the format is different between pezio and speakers. The pezio element will sound when different voltages are run through it. Speakers work by pulses of electricity. Conversion will be tough, at least for me.

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored
    Make money surfing the net, join a supercomputer, or learn HTML (soon)
    I'm not racist! I have a color TV!

www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

Sterling_Aug Guest
    It is amazing how important such trivial things like "how a modem speaker sounds" can be to some people.

Buy a $20 WinModem with the voice feature and feed the output into your soundcard's line-in port. Enjoy the sound of data transmission.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

I have never seen a modem that had an output jack for speakers. But then again, I've never purchased one (cable modem), although I've seen lots.

I don't even know how to explain this... But to make it easy, most modems accept the command "L1" to lower the volume.

L2 is high volume (usually the default), L1 is low, and either L0 or L3 will have the modem make the noises the entire length of the call.

M0 (zero) turns off the speaker, and M1 turns it on.

I remember that these commands were entered in the modem init string in my old tcomm program, and I'm not sure how they would be entered in Windows 95/98. Maybe Modems:Properties:Connection:Advanced (In the extrat settings field) from the Control Panel.
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I know that you can purchase piezo tweeters for use in car or home audio. They work on exactly the same principle as magnet-motor speakers have done for a hundred years. They have a limitation on their tolerance for frequencies below 3000hz, as they can be damaged quickly. I'd guess that its certainly worth a try as far as hooking up a speaker directly to the output for the piezo device. Test my theory before unsoldering that factory piece of crap - take the wires from your pc speakers or line input cable and touch them to the leads to the little piezo speaker while its making noise. You will indeed have to tweak the modem settings just as racas said in his reply, to get the noise all the time. If you plug the modem speaker output wires into the line-in port of your soundcard you can mute or adjust the volume for your modem independently of the other volume settings. The speaker output power delivered by that modem might not be strong enough to drive your pc speakers without being amplified to some degree. I'd feed into the line-in port if I wanted to hear my modem. I own a Diamond modem as well. I agree it sounds awful.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

well i know one thing, i would never ever ever get a winmodem.!!! they suck ***!!!!!!!!!!! they use cpu to run not there own chip, get a real OS and a read modem.
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

Definatley dont get a winModem. They are slow. They depend on the speed of your system.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Thanks for all the input folks, I guess I'm going to have to live with it for the moment and I'm amazed at how much faster and stable this new Diamond modem is. I still wince every time I connect though, (sounds like a Gremlin is taking an angle grinder to my CPU!!).

The old modem is either a crap design or faulty. It's a Modular Technology 56k, and I really should have known something was up, when, after repeated attempts to connect with it when I first got it found that it was supplied with an incorrectly wired phone cable. This was really helpful at the time as It was my first venture onto the net.

I don't particularly want to Listen to continuous data transfer all the time. No it would be much better to just play a Marilyn Manson CD! I Just want to here the connection part you know, Dialling tone- tone dial of ISP number- connection data transfer-then it shuts up.

The really strange thing is I,ve been able to run this:........

Pentium II 350mhz @ 501mhz 3.5X143fsb (which I think is just about the limit with this)

Abit BF6-PII 350mhz SL2WZ Malay-64mb of generic, (toshiba chips) PC 100 SRAM (at 143!!, yes I don't believe it either)- air cooling with T3 REX.

.................100% stable,(so far),since replacing the modem, It would top out at 135 before. It might go higher but I'd require more cooling, and anyhow new CPU soon......BladeRunner.

I think TN' was saying this but why not just buy another pezio speaker? Easy enough to but from Radio Shack (US). Better quality speaker would be much eaiser than converting the signal.
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

You can wire a little normal speaker into a pezio output , they work pritty much the same, I did it on my old 486 laptop which had a crappy little pezio buzzer thing for the pc speaker. I wired it to a normal pc speaker , then a bigger speaker , then a 10" sub woffer and it still worked. then I jammed the input into my amp and crammed it on to a pair of 12" subs + extras.
    Using a wave program it was supprising how good the quality was out of the pc speaker port !
    VG30DETT...
    nuff said

Thread Information