Please teach me how to scrap off the heatsink pad from the heatsink?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Please teach me how to scrap off the heatsink pad from the heatsink?

Please teach me how to scrap off the heatsink pad from the heatsink?

Wouldn't I create more gap? How to make sure it is thoroughly clean? Will a layer of thermal compound superior to thermal pad? Thanks for your help!

Bingo....Ditch the Heat tape. Ill see if I can find the site for ya but they give all the stat variables on Heat dispersion and Heat tape is almost just as bad as nothing at all. Now heat paste can disapate heat(let me think) appox 30% better than, heat tape. BRB....Ill find that site for ya.
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

Here is that address on Heat paste/Thermal paste/Thermal grease.

http://www.extremehw.com/ehonline/index11.html
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

that page doesnt tell us how to remove the tape, have u tried meths or a solvent of some kind that might work. the only other option i can think is to cut it off, or use some sandpaper and remove it the old fashioned way.

I use a plastic putty knife as a scraper to remove the bulk and then automotive brake cleaner (solvent which leaves no film) to remove any remaining patch or adhesive. Sanding or using anything which will scratch is not a good idea. You want a flat surface with no scratches or dings to minimize the amount of thermal compound needed. This method has worked for me on both graphite and tape type patches.

I usually lap the back of the heatsink anyway so it removes any imperfections.

I use a razorblade to take the tape off. Heat paste is a lot better than the tape.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

this is really something. this is the first time i'v heard about removing the tape. i didnt know that tape wasnt that good. no wonder i have some heat problems. well at least i'm glad i know what my problem is
    better late then never
    Estimated time it will take me to fix your computer:
    If you leave - 15 min
    If you watch - 1hour
    If you help - 3hours

Thread Information