Let it rain rain rain....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Let it rain rain rain....

Let it rain rain rain....

Hey!! last nite I downloaded Rain .
    I've installed it and over 15mins watched my processor fall 5 degrees C.
    Is this so? does it really work, and if yes ..this well??
    How is it that everyone doesn't use this ???
    How does it work?????
    Studies show that 5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions....

From what i know (I maybe wrong!)
    When your using the Rain program, it sends commands to the CPU shutting down unused parts of the cpu therefor cooling it, let me remind you i maybe wrong!

P.S. try emailing the ppl who make rain and waterfalls!

------------------
    Fear LTPRPM because I am LTPRPM...

Comp Setup: Pentium III 550mhz,128mbs PC-100 SDRAM, 17 gig Seagate HHD, Guillemot Xentor 32,Sony IDE CDRW 4x4x32x,8x DVDROM, Guillemot Fortissimo Sound - Second Comp Dual Celeron 366 at 550 (5.5x100) on Abit BP6, 256mbs CAS 2 PC100 SDRAM, 30gig IBM 7200rpm UDMA/66, Guillemot 3d Prophet, Soundplaster X-GAMER

The "bad" thing with those programs is that they can't do so much good when they're really needed.. Like when playing some really heavy 3d game. Ofc, if you want to overclock to maximum, and never do anything cpu demanding stuff with your computer.. Then I guess Rain, CpuIdle and all the others could be a good idea. I think it's better to get a decent fan combo or something though. When idling in windows, I guess they DO pretty good. When I start up cpuidle, I loose about 10 degrees celsius. If I run my 366 @583, I need to be pretty quick when booting the 'puter. If I let it sit and wait too long with the network login, the temp will go above 40, and it'll freeze. ;-)

Talbot,

You're right, these programs aren't useful when the processor is at full load. But when you are reading e-mail, surfing in the net, writing letters, they work very fine, and really cool down the processor. These programs won't help you in an unsucessful overclock but they will increase a lot the lifetime of your processor at no cost.

I am also running Rain ver 2.0 and am very happy with it. I think Shellshocked is correct about shutting parts of the CPU down when not needed, but I'm not sure. Like the other post say though, under full CPU load (3D gaming, Image processing) it doesn't do anything for me. I figure that 2/3 the time the CPU is under a light enough load that running programs like Rain will benifit me. Anything to make the thing last longer!!!
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

How long do you plan on keeping your processor? I seriously doubt your cpu will burn out before you replace it. Especially if you're a gamer. We all know how quickly a given cpu goes out of style. I don't use cooling software because it's just another program running in the background and I've got too many of those already.
    P.S. I was under the impression that such software utilized 100% cpu usage thereby distributing it across the whole processor thus making heat dispersion more efficient?

------------------
    success unshared is failure

[This message has been edited by StuTheWise (edited 11-23-99).]
    Learn how to sell on eBay at www.PowerSellerPros.com

The greedy bastard that I am, I would rather overload the CPU trying to win 10,000 Euros with CSC than to cool my processor

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored/framemoney.html
    Make money surfing the net!
    I'm not racist! I have a color TV!

www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

OK, first the quick explain, then the longer one for if you don't get it.

Rain is a HLT command in an idle-priority thread. That's all.

Now the long way.

Windows runs many programs at once, but only one is actually using the processor at any given point in time. Windows switches each program through, giving some more turns (higher priority). Rain is an idle thread that tells the processor to actually power down until the next cycle. Thus, pretty much *anything* else running is higher priority and gets run first. If nothing is using the CPU on a cycle (you're reading this page), Windows goes down the list to Rain, which runs, telling the CPU to HLT (HaLT, or partially turn off). Next cycle, Netscape or IE or whatever runs and Rain has to wait. However, if you're running RC5des or Seti@home or something like that like me, it's either an idle thread or a level 1 one. I used to take 3 or 4 days to break a RC5 work packet, then I figured out RC5 was waiting for Rain to not be running (they're both idle priority). I set RC5 to priority 1 (one step up from idle) and now I break a new RC5 packet every ten-fifteen minutes. Now I'm watercooled and working on Peltiers, so Rain went. Hope this made things a bit clearer.

------------------
    And the beat goes on...
    And the beat goes on...

I also use Rain but the older version 1.0...
    Been using it in my system for about a year now without any problems.

Are you sure that it's v2.0? I haven't been able to find this new version anywhere...Can any of you give me a link as to where I can download this? Thanks in advance...

StuTheWise,

You forgot something, using Rain you are saving the lifetime of your processor AND saving energy... It can be some Watts, but if you keep your computer many hours during a day performing a download or something that uses little CPU load, you'll certainly save some bucks at the end of the month.

ftp://ftp.pchome.net/cpuidle/rain20.zip

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions....

That link doesn't seem to be working......???
    Proud Pilot of the Snake Eyes - 916th VFS (Virtual Fighter Squadron)

I just downloaded rain.....
    It KICKS ***
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Thread Information