Who knows about HDs? (NICs, too)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Who knows about HDs? (NICs, too)

Who knows about HDs? (NICs, too)

Ok! I reformatted my HD, because it had too much crap on it.

Now. I have a Maxtor 90650U2 6.0GB. Sandra just gave it "Index 9396" and two comparible systems of UDMA 8.4 (7600 Index) and UDMA 6.4 (6500 Index). Index is all fine and dandy, but that's just how fast the plates are spinning.

Because Sandra didn't give me comps for the rest of the information, I ask you people how good this is:

Buffered Read 221 MB/s
    Sequential Read 12 MB/s
    Random Read 979 MB/s
    Buffered Write 193 MB/s
    Sequential Write 8 MB/s
    Random Write 24 MB/s
    Average Access Time 60 mx (estimated)

The reason I ask is because I've been having problems with my system: Mainly that it's slow when accessing the internet. I have a 3COM Etherlink XL PCI, and a NetGear FA310TX. Both of them pause while accessing the internet, and it causes Windows Update to crash. I'm wondering if it's my HD, NIC, or Windows settings?

My system is running at 602 mHz (Per Sandra) (4.5x133) My PCI clock is 1/4 my FSB, and AGP is 2/3.
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

well as long as you access time is 6 ms and not 60, I see nothing wrong with those numbers.. I would say the pause you are speaking of may be casused by file swapping.. If you havent already, set your computer's typical role in the control pannel to "network server".. This should speed things up, and make your drive run a bit smoother.. Oh you didnt mention how much ram you have either.. if your running on 64 or 96 megs, your gonna get excessive file swapping on the web and other large programs.. (this is bassed on what I've found anyway) good luck!
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

Nope. That access time is SIXTY milliseconds. That's probably my answer, then. I need to figure out what the hell is up.

I think I was wrong. I seem to hear nothing on this board good about Maxtors and overclocking. Unfortunately, my SCSI drive is a Samsung, and I hear those aren't much better. I guess I'll need to look into a better HD. My CD-RW drive is acting up, as well. I think I'll just put that in the other computer.

Since I have 128 MB of RAM, and a cable modem, I'll probably just turn off my internet cache... WOOOO!!! THAT'LL PROBABLY FIX IT!
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

I know that when I was OC with a intel NIC it gave me all sorts of problems. it also didn't like my video capture board eigther. I have been using a Dlink and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Another thing you might want to try is getting rid of your history within your browser and deleteing your temp internet files. I know that before I set them to as small as windows would let me I could fill them pretty quick.

------------------
    WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.
    whatever

wow, 60 ms access time! that thing is a dinobot... As for my pick on HD's, I would get an IBM.. you can not beat them in performance or reliability.. Seagate also makes a good drive, along with Quantum.. AS for Western Digital, they do make some good drive's in the 7200 rpm variety, just so its not a caviar, they suck the big one! good luck man..
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

my god my old quantum bigfoot 5.25" had a better aces time then that. something is not right with that thing
    Estimated time it will take me to fix your computer:
    If you leave - 15 min
    If you watch - 1hour
    If you help - 3hours

Thread Information