overclocking and hard drives?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: overclocking and hard drives?

overclocking and hard drives?

I here that when overclocking your cpu that you can often run into problems with your hard drive. I havnt had any problems but I was wondering how this is? I dont see how overclocking your chip would affect the hard drive. And if so is thier any problems that are known with overclocking while using a quantum hard drive. Because i have a Quantum Bigfoot 8 gig ultra 33. Oh, one more question I here about copper cache spacers too I dont know what they are and what thier purpose is?

[This message has been edited by sdye78 (edited 11-21-99).]
    Scott Dye

An overclocked computer might not overclock your harddrive. I have a Celeron 366 at 550. The pci bus for 366 is 66/2=33 the pci bus for 550 is 100/3=33.3. When you start going away from standard bus frequencies and get 37 Mhz or 40 Mhz pci bus you are overclocing your pci bus ie. harddrive, video card, nic and whatever else you have on there. Some harddrives will overclock easily IBM for instance and others don't overclock hardly at all Maxtor for example. The same goes for AGP video cards and pci video cards, nics, SCSI cards etc. Some will do it some will not. I am not sure about your HD. What will happen is that you will get corrupt date and registry errors all over the place or just a little at a time.

When you O/C you will overclock the PCI bus at most FSBs. The exceptions are 100 MHz when you're O/C'ing a Celeron, or 133 MHz for a PIII if the mobo has a 1/4 PCI divider.

The IDE interface to the hard drive operates off the PCI clock so when you O/C the FSB, and that O/C's the PCI bus, you are therefore O/C'ing the hard drive. And watch out O/C'ing that bigfoot, they're not known for tolerating a high PCI clock.

[This message has been edited by Dave_B (edited 11-21-99).]
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

thanxz you. But what about coper cache spacers?
    Scott Dye

I don't know about copper spacers, but I have heard that Quantum drives are good overclockers!?! Ask Mole in the CPU forum....he swears by Quantums he might know....I blew out my JTS Hard rive (thankfully it's warranteed) but after that I will not OC til I have a better drive....cept my Banshee....that ***** get's the ABUSE....but she loves it and her little 486 heatsink fan!

------------------
    Bleeding head good! Healed head bad!
    Beware pinkboys....The Stark Fist of Removal cometh nigh! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com

OK....I think I got it....Copper Cache spacers fit between the Cache and heatsink on PII/PIII to help cool it.

------------------
    Bleeding head good! Healed head bad!
    Beware pinkboys....The Stark Fist of Removal cometh nigh! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com

I'm running my Maxtor DiamondMAX UDMA 10.8 5400 ATA/33 at 44.33Mhz PCI....
    Copper spacers or spacers in general are pieces of metal that fill out the gap between the L2 cache and heatsink. Why? Because, metal leads away more heat than air and helps cooling the cache. You don't need copper to do this, I'm using two 5cent coins (dutch, they are made of copper, nickel etc.) with thermal compound to remove airgaps between the L2, coin and heatsink - it works great!

Thread Information