Windows Registry Checker
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows Registry Checker

Windows Registry Checker

Firstly, I've got an iWill VD133 motherboard, a PIII 450 (Malaysia SL37C), 2 64MB simms of Toshiba PC100, a Voodoo3 3500, and a Maxtor 6500MB UDMA.

The heatsink is about an inch and a quarter tall, and has two medium-sized fans blowing directly at it.

I've successfully overclocked to 558 (4.5x124, 1.96 [I think] VCore), with no problems whatsoever. But when I try to hit that 133 FSB, it chokes on me.

The system POSTs perfectly, but once it gets to loading Windows, the problems start. The most common error is "Windows Registry Checker found a problem with the system registry and fixed it. Press enter to restart". After pressing enter, it goes through the same loop.

I read the article posted 9/26/99 by kjrir, and tried the ctrl-alt-del process before it finished restoring the registry. I even tried manually restoring the registry from the last good boot (before I set the jumpers to 133mHz) with no result.

Other problems included "Please type the location of the command interpreter (i.e. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)" and just locking up shortly into the Windows loading process.

I figured it was probably my HD, or the IDE bus(?) on my motherboard, so I pulled my SCSI HD and Adaptec UW adapter from my secondary computer. The most common error this time was the command interpreter.

Anyone have any clue as to what could cause this?

BTW: While I was manually restoring my registry, I also noticed that sometimes when I used the DIR command (Maxtor HD), things would be missing. I extracted the RB000.CAB file, and I did an attrib to view the hidden files that it extracted. Nothing. Waited a couple seconds, and the files were there. There had been no HD activity between the two attrib commands. I think this may be the same problem that's causing the "please type the location of the command interpreter" error.
    "The mind wobbles." -K. Bundy

Also:

Does anyone know companies that sell overclocked CPUs / systems?

Your volt is to low try bumping it up to 2.2, that should do the trick

like superdigg said bump your core up one at a time. and aas for the already over clocked systems. a company called cryo????? something has them. to bad i can't member the URL for you though. they take the cpu's and use freon to cool them. right now they have the althon 700 @ 1000, and the intel P3 even higher. it might be like cryogenics. or something.... heck i wish i knew. sory.

HR

I've tried taking the voltage up to... I believe it's 2.10 or something like that (The motherboard says "10% over what the CPU draws") It didn't work. But I'm willing to try it again.

Kryotech (www.kryotech.com) charges $2,200 for their Athlon 900 system, and it only includes motherboard, CPU and case. That's a lot.

Check out www.asetek.dk

Had that exact problem last night. Here is the fix that I found after a couple hours.

When booting, after the beep (POST) hit the F8 key to get into the boot selector. Pick the line-by-line boot approach and hit return. Press ESC to the first line when it askes if you want to check the registry. Press enter for all of the other questions. This should allow thre system to boot.

NOW - have your WIN 95/98 CD handy and do the following. Hit START-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Information and release. Select Tools and then move the curser to 'System file checker'. You can try the registry checker, but that failed to fix the problem that I had that is exactly the same as you are having. When I did this it found 3 corrupted files, one of which was command com, as your system is reporting. Hope that this works for you!

Best of luck!

Karl

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

racas, I don't know about your board, but with mine (Soyo) I get past that problem by going into the bios, upping the voltage to 2.2, and setting the hd pio mode to 1.

-B

Thread Information