450 PIII o/c problem...ASUS P2B-F MoBo
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 PIII o/c problem...ASUS P2B-F MoBo

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio

450 PIII o/c problem...ASUS P2B-F MoBo

I just got a PIII 450 chip and a ASUS P2B-F motherboard. I have a Maxtor 8 gig UDMA Harddrive, 96 Megs of PC100 Ram, and a voodoo 3 2000 video card. I O/C it to 466 by changing the BUS frequency to 105MHz and it worked fine. I tried 110MHz and it didn't boot. Any ideas? I didn't think is was a heat issue, maybe a voltage issue. I am new to the o/c game so any advice is welcome.

------------------
    Error: CPU speed is too fast.

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 11-17-99).]
    -Goff

Give more details; what kind of SDRAM, hard drive, etc.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

I have never found Maxtor drives too coopertive when it comes to overclocking

[This message has been edited by djwells (edited 11-17-99).]
    Studies show that 5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions....

If it's a 5400 rpm Maxtor, I'm betting on that along with djwells. They don't overclock at all. If it's new, return it for a Quantum or Western Digital.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

Why don't you try setting it to 112MHz? I have exactly the same chip and P2B-F motherboard that you got, and when I o/c'd it, I just went straight to 112 - no problems so far, does not seem to run too hot (purely physical testing - finger ). From what I read on some o/c sites, it seems that sometimes a chip would work bad at one frequency, and well at a higher one. I don't know, I have little experience with this, but trying won't hurt, I think.

It is temping to go buy those new 66UDMA hardrives, they are so inexpensive. I saw 26 gigs for $200! Is there a brand that is good for overclocking? Also, I did try 112 MHz and all it did was beep at me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 11-18-99).]
    -Goff

Do you think getting an ABIT MoBo would help? I am thinking of selling my ASUS and RAM and getting an ABIT with 128 PC133 Ram.

------------------
    -Goff

Why not try get a Quantum Fireball KA Plus 9.1 GB drive and keep your old Maxtor as secondary? These 7200 rpm UDMA66 drives are overclockable and cheap; $117 on www.pricewatch.com . Then you'll have close to 18 GB of storage and you can run the Maxtor in one of the slower PIO modes. Western Digital drives also overclock, as do IBM 7200 rpm drives, but they're a little more expensive (but quieter).

I really don't see what a new mobo and PC133 SDRAM will do for your problem. At the FSBs you're trying, any mobo should be OK, and if you have real PC100 SDRAM (8 ns chips), you should be good to go up to 125 MHz. If you want to build a new system, go ahead. Just remember, if you thinking of 133 MHz to get to 600 MHGz, you're gonna have AGP card problems with any BX chipset mobo. You may just trade one problem for another. Since you really should get a new primary hard drive anyway, why not try that first.

I think it's really strange. My specs:
    P!!! 450@600 2.4V w/Alpha
    Asus P2B-F w/bios 1010
    Maxtor DiamondMAX UDMA 10.8 5200rpm
    Asus 50x CD-ROM
    Iomega ZIP100
    128Mb PC-100 7ns CAS3
    ATI Rage Fury 128 32Mb
    SBLive! Value
    Realtek Ethernet
    I've even had my pci at 41 with no problems at all (a month or so). I think it is your RAM, if you have 96Mb that means you have one stick 32 and one 64 which - especially the 32Mb - aren't of best quality. Try pulling them out and look what it says. If it says 10ns you'r lucky if it can do 110fsb. Try borrowing a stick of 128(or 64) which are at least 8ns from a friend or try booting without the one at 32Mb.
    You should at least manage to do 558 on the P2B-F.

Ok. I think I will keep the ASUS, a new harddrive and better RAM might help, but I have a question. How do you change the core voltage on the P2B-F? I think that raising that would help me with the higher speed BUS.

------------------

-Goff

The P2B-F doesn't support voltage tweaks in the BIOS so this has to be done through taping some of the pins on the cpu. This may sound abit tricky but it's actually quite simple. I don't remember the site where I found the info on this but I have already written it (the adress) in another post, I think it was about "changing voltage on a slotket", check it out.

Thanks for the great info. More people should know about this way of changing voltage. I see tons of overclockers praising ABIT because you can tweak the voltage. With this technique anyone can tweak there voltage. Do you think changing my voltage to 2.2 will help me get to 504 or do you think a new hard drive or better ram is a must? Also, how fast can I go before I have to worry about my V3 AGP?

------------------

-Goff

Raising the voltage may help, but I really don't think so. You should check the week of your cpu as well as the S-code (printed on the side of the box), if it is a late week you should be able to hit 600 with the default voltage, 558 is almost 100%. What your biggest problem is, is the RAM, as I wrote earlier you should check the specs on the RAM you got, if it is at >10ns the you need a new stick. Check this before anything else. Of course it's pretty cool with a new HD, but if you don't need it.... In case it's your RAM holding you back buy some PC133 to be on the safe side even though some 8ns or 7ns PC100 will do the trick. Your V3 should at least join you at 600 (that is 89Mhz AGP).
    Good luck
    BTW, what cooling do you have?

Oh my God, I can't beleive I forgot to mention that. I have a very large heat sink that I ripped off a Compaq PIII CPU and a had a old Pentium 166MMX laying around so I took the fan off of that. I attached the fan to the heat sink so that it blows down (from top of case to the bottom direction) across the heat sink. I have two case fans and of course the power supply fan. I was thinking of buying another large case fan and mounting it on the side of my case (after drilling holes for air flow) to blow on my video card because I want to o/c my voodoo 3 too. I might add two of these if it works good. I haven't heard of anyone retrofitting a fan like this so I was wanting some feedback. Thanks again superdigg.
    -Goff

Did you have a retail hs/fan-combo or was it an oem to begin with? I'm just wondering because the original hs/fan-combo is pretty good actually. I bought a medium priced cooler first (30$) but that didn't help much, the only thing worth upgrading to is an Alpha - that thing never stops amazing me, it is really exellent. While talking about cooling, (if you haven't done it already that is) try loosing the backplate because it traps heat. What are your system temps?

Thread Information