Overclocking Gurus...PLEASE bless me w/knowledge!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking Gurus...PLEASE bless me w/knowledge!

Overclocking Gurus...PLEASE bless me w/knowledge!

OK, I'm a little baffled...I Just bought PC133 RAM to hopefully help with overclocking, but alas it was not to be...Once again, I graciously ask for all of your input:

System specs: PIII500, AOpen AX6BCPro mb, "Mushkin" brand PC133 128meg, W.D. 6.4 HD, V770 TNT2, MX300, V2 SLI, 300W power, TennMax P3 Cooler, multiple case fans, Win98.

I'm trying to figure out what is keeping me from overclocking past 585, and what should I try next. My next fsb is 124, which would give me 620mhz. If I increase my voltage to vcore 2.0 + .1 (or to maximum allowable on mb=vcore+.2), I can boot, memory check, and post at 124, but then I freeze at windows splash screen, and/or get "windows protection error".

If I use SoftFSB, I can up it to 124 after booting at 117, but after 2-3 minutes it will give me several "explorer errors", then hard lock up. When this happens, my CPU temp readout is around 28-30C, so I don't think Im overheating. And my PC133 shouldn't be holding me back.

So what do you think it could be? Perhaps just the maximum limit of CPU (kinda find that hard to believe, though, seeing others achieve much higher speeds)...

Could the symptoms be attributable to hard drive limitations? How would I check this? I have a bios option to change PIO from "Auto" to 1-4, but don't know what these #'s means (lower # = slower hard drive?)or which # I should set it at.

Could my Diamond V770 be the problem? How could I check?

I've also seen a lot of talk about "CAS", but the only things I see in my bios are "SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay" (choices 2T, 3T, Auto), "SDRAM CAS Latency" (choices 2T, 3T, Auto), SDRAM RAS Precharge" (choices of 2T, 3T, Auto). Should I try to change these settings?

Sorry for the ignorance (and the LONG post), but can't find answers at AOpen or in mb manual...Thanks AGAIN for any and all help!!

I don't think it's the CPU, as your temps seems fine. Yuo could try installing CpuIdle. This brougt my temps down from 35C max to 18C stable.

A friend of mine that just bought my 'ol BH6 1.0 have the same problems as you describe here. He's got an WD 19gig, and it seems to me that these drives just don't handle these speeds. However, his runs just fine at 124MHz FSB, but stops cooperating when the FSB is upped to 133MHz.

Hope this helps.

I had a problem like that ..I found that if you go to:

112 MHZ FSB =37MHZ PCI OK
    124 MHZ FSB =42MHZ PCI <---Dangerous to HDD
    133 MHZ FSB =33MHZ PCI OK

so if you are going to run your computer OC to any PCI speeds over 37 MHZ then I recommend that you shouldn't, but if you are going to then I recommend buying a UDMA \66 HDD and running it at UDMA \33 this should solve your windows crashing Problems

Alright I'll take a stab at this. The first thing I would try is to set the hard drive to PIOmode4 in BIOS. This will slow down the hard drive, but you'll never notice the difference. Yes, lower PIO #'s are slower. I would also make sure that nothing is set to "cacheable" , like video ram, video bios, etc. Set the CAS latency to 3, change it later to 1 or 2, whatever the DIMM says. If it don't say, download Sisoft SANDRA utility from Download.com and use the memory info it gives you to see what the CAS REALLY is for the DIMM. It should tell you EVERYTHING about that RAM. I doubt that the PCI bus speed is causing your problem, it's only 31mhz, that should work for any hardware. I am assuming that the PCI clock divider for your 124 FSB setting says 1/4. If it says 1/3, thats your problem(41.33mhz). Also be sure that you're AGP clock is set to 1/2 of FSB.Not 1/1 or you'll have a 124mhz AGP speed and your VGA card is locking you up. Have you tried booting into "SAFE MODE"? If you can run in safe mode alright, you've got a piece of hardware causing your problem. Have you tried removing ALL cards except the VGA card? If all else fails,- In the Windows start menu click "run" and type "msconfig" then enter. On the menu that appears, select "advanced" then check the box marked "640x480 16 color" this will disable the VGA card the next time you reboot, you can see if it works then. If it does, you've got a VGA card holding you back. This setting only works for the next time you reboot, you must keep selecting the "640x480 16color" everytime you reboot, or it defaults back to the original config. I'll keep thinking about this, maybe I'm forgetting something. I agree its not a temperature problem.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Thanks for the input all...I'm PRETTY sure that my fsb has a 4 divider at 124 and higher, although I can't seem to verify that (thought I read it in the manual tho)...

TNproud2B: If you're referring to what I think you are ("be sure that you're AGP clock is set to 1/2 of FSB"), my divider is set to 2/3, which would make my AGP TNT2 run at 82+ at that setting...Don't know if that could be the problem, but I think others have used it at that speed ok....

I'll try booting into safe mode tho, and putting the pio at 4....Thanks for being my brains...

OK, let me sum this up pretty quick... 585 is about the max your going to get out of that PIII500 with just regular cooling. PIII500s are the same as PIII450s and that is where they top out normally. Newer PIII450s can hit 600, but 558 is yout best shot with PIII500 and PIII450s. Your probably going to have to use other methods of cooling to get to 600, if it is at all possible. What is keeping you from hitting anything over 585 is your cache. You can try some copper (any metal will do, but if you can, get copper) cache spacers to make contact with your heatsink to try and cool the cache down. This should help quite a bit in your journey to 600+ land. If this doesn't help, you better look toward a Peltier or water cooling...

Silly me, I've never seen a 1/2 AGP setting, either. What was I thinking? Anyhow, I stand corrected.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F

Th SOYO SY-VBA133 has a 1/2 AGP setting.

------------------
    You did what to who's dog for how many jellybeans?
    You did what to whos' dog for how many jellybeans?

Cool, thanks, golden, for saving my ***. I'll have to check out that motherboard, the 1/2 AGP setting should be standard on ALL boards made for overclocking. I'd love to have that option.

Thanks for all your input...A quick update: I replaced thermal pad (****) on TennMax cooler w/thermal paste (better), maxed voltage to 2.2V, put PIO at 4, then 3, and set my CAS settings to 3T (whatever that means). I can now easily boot, post, and mess around in W98 (ie surf the web, run sisoft sandra, etc...) without any probs. My sissoft scores are through the roof...My temps. stay between 23C and 28C.
    However, running any games produces hard computer lock/crash after no more than 5 seconds....Temps never seem to reach 30C, so cant be overheating...And crash occurs regardless of using AGP card (tnt2 ultra) or Voodoo2 SLI, so don't think the increased AGP bus is the problem...

So what do you think may be causing the crash? (I also tried PIO all way down to 2, but still crashed)...Thanks AGAIN!!

You've found the limit of the chip is my guess. A heat spike is causing the problem. Your chip is right on the edge, buddy. It's time to cool it down a few more degrees and I promise it should stabilize. Try a big fan blowing toward the heatsink, you're gonna have to get a peltier or water cooling setup if the fan thing don't work. I've been on the edge like that, it took water cooling to stabilize this thing. Its amazing how much difference 20F degrees can make. They run near 90f with water, instead of 110+f with heatsinks. My speeds went from 589 to 624mhz and its far more stable, in fact it hasn't crashed in 3 weeks(jinxed myself).

SouthFla,

I know I might be a little late, but try running your system with the L2 cache disabled and everything else at default. My guess is that it will run okay at 620 with no crashes. It will not perform very well but it will show you that your problem is most likely the L2 cache that is limiting your overclocking experience.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

It could be your viper card. Try to install the 3.53 detonator drivers if you haven't already. For some reason this helped out a few people with P3 o/c problems.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Thread Information