a stupid power supply question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: a stupid power supply question

Hybrid View

a stupid power supply question

this is kind of a silly question, but i have to ask, on the back of my atx case the power supply-there's a switch that says 115 volts and 230 volts; what is that suppose to do? or what are u suppose to leave it on? 115 or 230???

i have it on at 115V

well i think i have it on 115 too not for sure thou but really what would happen if for instance i slide the button the other way ?

It would blow a fuse inside the Power Supply the switch in the back is for 220 volts which is mainly used in Europe. I did that once when I used to live in Germany and my mom wasn't too happy about it That was on my old 386 that could run SimCity 2000 and Warcraft 1. I was happy then now I have a Celeron 366@550
    <A HREF="http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=krueger81" TARGET=_blank>http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=krueger81</A>

That switch is there so you can set your PS to local electrical supply conditions. In the US we supply @ 110v 60HZ. Other places in the world may operate @ 220v. If you are in the US it should be set @ 115 on consumer electronics.In the US 220v is used primarily for high draw home appliances (washers, dryers, electric ranges, water heaters)and heavy duty machinery. Not only that but you can't plug 110v connector into 220v connector or vice-versa; different connector configuration. Wanna see the difference, just unplug a washer or dryer and look at the plug.

well thanks guys i just feel dumb having a switch around the house that i dont know wat it does now i do thanks

Thread Information