PIII450 @ 623 HELP
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PIII450 @ 623 HELP

PIII450 @ 623 HELP

Hi, Ive managed to get my PIII450 (SL35D) to 616 on my Soyo 6BA+IV, with a Dual Overkill cooler from 3DCool on CPU. It runs rock solid at 616, but will also post at 623, 630 etc. However, when I run 3DMark at 623 and above, the system locks up after an hour. I beleive this is heat related? I have a Voodoo 3 with a fan stuck on the heatsink and one on the rear. Also fan in front of case. Will putting a couple of extra fans (1 in side and one in top of case) help the problem? or can anyone suggest anything else? Also what effect does turning precharge on in the bios have?

For sure it's a heat related problem but don't you think you've clocked it enough? You're already running at 616 MHz... that's a 450! It's okay now!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Fair point Toolbox. 616 is good for a 450. I guess I was just trying to push it further because it was teasing me into nearly working at higher speeds, and after reading the "with love from intel" article, I thought it might make it. I tried it at 630 with the case off and a desk fan blowing onto it to cool it and it still locked up after about 30-45 mins, so I guess it just aint gonna make it. Thanks anyway.

I still think we're lucky as hell to have these 450's that go to 600 MHz.

Have a nice day!

I'll let you know if I ever decide to push my chip past 600.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yeah I'm with PINKY - 600 is nothing, I want to go to 650 - that would be so cool. Seen some guy from Japan get one of those chips to do 720!!! - now that IS cool
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Abit KR7A-R, 512MB PC2700 DDR CAS2, 2x IBM 30.6GXP running RAID 0, Asus GeForce2 MX, Hercules GameTheater XP, SMC 1210TX Nic...

Do you guys think that removing the backplate from the CPU will help? I think they keep in a lot of heat. How would you hold it on? As it is a heat problem, any more suggestions?

[This message has been edited by PINKY (edited 11-06-99).]

Removing the blac back plate will help immensely/ however/ there goes the warranty. Put an alpha on it/ and you will be stable. Put a peltier and a cold plate on it, and if you have the juice to run peltier, you may well hit 675 like i have .
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Im not sure if an alpha or peltier will fit with my Soyo board. I don't think there is enough room between the slot and the ram. If anyone knows for sure or has tried let me know. If I remove the back plate (Im not fussed about the warranty, its a bit late now) how should I secure the heatsink?

se99ts Guest
    where can i buy one of these great sounding processors and will they guarentee that it is a SL35D???

Thread Information