100MHz to 66MHz?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 100MHz to 66MHz?

100MHz to 66MHz?

Following problem: my old soyo sockel 7 mainboard doesn't support 100MHz FSB. The fastest processor upgrade would be an 366MHz
    I thought about buying a k6-2 400 to underclock it:
    1. from 100MHZ to 66MHz FSB and
    2. from 400MHz to 366MHZ.
    Is that possible ?? Can you underclock
    a processor who is actually meant to function with 100MHz FSB with 66MHz? Maybe any problems with the stability ? Would be
    thankful for an answer.

North Carolina
    YES!!! I ran an AMD K6-2 400 on a 66mhz socket7 board while waiting for the 100mhz board to arrive. Actually its pretty fast even on a 66mhz bus. I had no problems. PS, the K6-2 350 was sold in 66mhz and 100mhz varieties. The 66mhz units are very scarce, but would make an ideal upgrade for that 66mhz board. I think companies like Evergreen Technologies buy the 66mhz 350's to use on their "upgrade chips".

[This message has been edited by TNproud2b (edited 11-04-99).]
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Manila, Philippines
    The AMD underclock well. I've heard several instances of people underclocking their processors to a 66 MHz bus.

I also did figure out that Intel processors do this too. Pretty well in fact, stable as a rock. I have a Pentium III 450 that went down to 300 MHz on an Abit board. I did it for fun of course.

Underclock your chip for now until you find the right motherboard. When you do, then overclock the hell out of it!

It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computerô

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thread Information