celeron 400Mhz overclocking
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: celeron 400Mhz overclocking

celeron 400Mhz overclocking

hi,
    i have pIICeleron400Mhz and abbit m/b BH6...
    how high i can go...
    i have no experiance....
    thanx

------------------

Hello,

Got some hints for you:

Go to Bios and set "Processor Speed" to manual. Than fill in:

Multiplier = 6
    External Clock Speed = 83.3 Mhz

That shoot give you 500 Mhz without any problem, hoping your PCI and AGP slots don't have any problem with that BUS speed.

If you want even more, make sure you got GOOD cooling, you can try and set the FSB to 100 Mhz ... that should give you 600Mhz. If it won't load Windows, try and turn up the voltage in the BIOS, I would recommend a max. of 2.3V

That should be enough to make it stable. If not, too bad but your Celeron probably won't run at 600Mhz.

Good luck ...

By the way --> got my Celeron running at 500, because I have only retail heatsink and fan on my cpu. waiting for that Global WIN FDP32 Cooler ...

Intruder
    P4 2,8@3,5 Ghz <> 512 dual channel DDR500 <> ATI Radeon 9700 Pro@344/660 <> WinXP SP1 <> 1x120+1x30 Gb <>
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    P4 2,4@2,7Ghz <> 512 DDR400 <> Geforce3 Classic <> WinXP SP1 <> 4x40 Gb <> ASUS P4B533-E
    P3 866@1 Ghz <> 768 DDR400 <> Win2003 Server <> 3x10 Gb <> Epox bla bla bla.

You may have some trouble when you get near 600mhz. Celerons max out somewhere near this speed. I would start with an FSB(CPUCLOCK) speed setting of 92mhz(552mhz). Set AGP speed to 2/3, not 1/1 or you'll end up with a 92mhz AGP clock instead of 61mhz - which is closer to the ideal 66mhz AGP speed. Since Celerons are clock-locked, you can only overclock them by increasing the speed of the FSB. The multiplier is locked at 6 for your C400 (6 x FSBspeed = CPU clockspeed). The system clock speed for your PCI bus is directly related to the FSB speed setting. An FSB speed of 66mhz(default Celeron) comes with a PCI divider of 1/2, so at 400mhz (66mhzFSB x 6 = 400) your PCI bus is running at one-half FSB speed or 33mhz(perfect PCI bus speed). That "1/2" PCI divider stays with you all the way to 92mhz FSB. For example; 91mhz FSB would cause a 45.5mhz PCI bus speed, which is far enough away from the 33mhz its expecting to see, that your hard drive will likely become corrupted and all data will be lost. Things look better at the 92mhz(552mhz 6 x 92) FSB speed and up to over 100mhz, however. 92 comes with a PCI divider of 1/3. So in this case your PCI bus would run at 30.66mhz(1/3 of 92) which is close enough to that ideal 33mhz. Your AGP bus normally runs at 66mhz, at the 66mhz(400mhz 6 x 66) default FSB. The AGP speed will match the FSB speed as long as the setting in BIOS says "AGP clock 1/1".
    I'd guess you need to drop the AGP clock setting to 2/3 when you exceed 75mhz FSB. This will keep your AGP speed from getting out of control and causing video problems. Don't increase CPU core voltage unless you're having stability problems. You can go up to 2.3volts if you're absolutely sure that cpu temp is OK. You gotta be careful with higher voltages, what looks like a normal cpu temp one minute, might look really bad in 10 minutes if you aren't paying attention. You might already know all this crap, already. I'm just typing to make myself happy (-: Thanks for the email, please write me again if you have any other questions. I'm sorry but I have zero experience with Slotket converter boards, I can refer you to other members that know what they're doing with one of those, let me know.

Alan Vincent
    Charlotte, NC
    formerly Gatlinburg,TN (sigh)
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

thanx for info, guys, i will try....

------------------

Listen to the man (TN), he knows what he's talking about when it comes to o/c C400 .. (except for the AGP2x thingy which we ALL forget already! hehe). My c400@564 is living and well mostly because of his advice! Thanks TN!!

Yes, please forget my advice about AGP 2x. I was under the impression that the phrase "AGP data transfer rate = 133mhz" meant the bus speed of AGP was 133mhz. wrong. I'll never live that one down, everybody read that post.damn.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F

hey TN...
    first thank you for your advice...
    but now i am confused about your dialog with K4....
    what AGP2x ???

if i understood you corectly your advice to me is:

set FSB to 92 Mhz
    AGP clock settings set to 1/3....
    so it wil be 552 (6 x 92)
    cause you said like 30,6 Mhz is ok. cause 33Mhz is ideal.....
    why is then 66Mhz is default ????
    is it better to put AGP to 2/3????

thanx

The pci standard runs at 33, the agp at 66. There are agp cards that say they are 2x or 4x, which means they 'run' at 2x or 4x the bus speed of the agp port. (though there are no 4x boards yet

AGP options are 1/1 or 2/3 only (1/1 for 66 is 66, 2/3 of 100 is 66). PCI options are 1/4, 1/3 and sometimes 1/4 (1/2 of 66 is 33, 1/3 of 100 is 33, 1/4 of 133 is 33)

TN, not everyone read that post
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Yep, at FSB 92Mhz, your PCI @@30.6Mhz. Setting AGP ratio to 2/3 makes AGP@60.3Mhz. That's pretty good already. AGP2x should be automatically enabled with that speed. AGP 2x /4x means: AGP Bus still 66Mhz(or 60.3Mhz for this case) but double/quadripal the bandwidth (i.e. twice/4x as much data can be transferred)

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/001118.html

please, i need explanation ...
    what is bus???
    what is AGP???
    what is PCI???
    difference between AGP&PCI ???

thanx

OK, here's some definitions!

Bus = Data path; typically 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 bits of data transfered in parallel to/from the CPU and the mobo (SDRAM, I/O controllers), to peripherals, whatever.

FSB = Front Side Bus; the FSB is the 64-bit internal mobo bus, which operates at the FSB clock rate. FSB clock spec setting is 66 MHz for Celerons, 100 MHz for PII and PIII processors. This is what is adjusted to overclock CPUs. I also overclocks the PCI and AGP interfaces also.

ISA = Industry Standard Architecture; older 16-bit 8 MHz bus used primarily for modems and sound cards. Will soon be phased out.

AGP = Accelerated Graphics Port; 32-bit multiplexed interface bus to high performance video cards. The AGP clock speed is derived from the FSB by 1/1 and 2/3 dividers; the spec operating frequency is 66 MHz. BX mobos have 1/1 dividers used for Celerons below the 100 MHz FSB); and a 2/3 divider for use above 100 MHz. For example, with a PIII 450 overclocked to 600 MHz with the 133 MHz FSB setting, the AGP clock would be 133 * 2/3 = 89 MHz. Newer VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipsets have a 1/2 divider also; in the same 450 to 600 overclock, the AGP clock would now be 133* 1/2 = 66 MHz (on spec).

PCI = Peripheral Component Interface; 32-bit interface bus used to connect sound cards, modems, older video cards, and other peripherals. Uses 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 (on newer mobos only) divider to derive the PCI clock from the FSB. Spec is 33 MHz; 1/2 divder used for Celerons from 66 MHz FSB; over 100 MHz 1/3 divider is used for PII and PIII processors. On new mobos, 1/4 divider is used to provide 33 MHz on spec PCI bus at 133 MHz FSB.

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics; control interface for hard drives built into the mobo. Newer spec is EIDE (E = Enhanced). Works off PCI clock so that a higher PCI clock can cause hard disk corruption.

AGP vs. PCI = PCI is a universal bus used to connect all kinds of peripherals. AGP was added later as an interface for video cards. The 2x and 4x terms don't refer to speed of the bus between the mobo and the AGP card though, they refer to the bandwidth of the data to the display itself.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

To be really simplistic:

If data are cars, then a BUS is the road. In order for the cars (data) to from/to different destination (components), they need a road (BUS) to connect destination (compoents). Technically, a bus is an array of WIREs so that more than 1-bit of data or one high/low electrical signal can travel at the same time.

PCI stands for "Peripheral Component Interconnect". The PCI local bus is a high-performance bus that provides a processor-independant data path between the CPU and high-speed peripherals. PCI is a robust interconnect mechanism designed specifically to accomodate multiple high performance peripherals for graphics, full motion video, SCSI, LAN. etc. It has a scalable 64-bit and/or 66Mhz performance. But we usually use it in 32-bit. Think of it as an Upgrade to the good old 8/16-bit ISA Bus we used for our 486s.. Most ISA peripherals are replaced by PCI for better, faster performance.

AGP stands for "Accelerated Graphics Port". It is a high-performance, component level interconnect targeted ONLY at 3D Graphics Card. It is based on enhancement to the 66Mhz PCI bus (so even faster than PCI). It provides a big increase in magnitude bandwidth improvement between your 3D card and the system memory. (It lets your system RAM share some of the loads of the 3D card, when loading texture maps, thus faster data transfer). In other words, AGP is an enhanced PCI bus that makes 3D run faster.

Hope it helps.

damnnn! I hit the Submit button too late and Dave_B took over!! .. I hope what I said can be a redundant "Add-on" to Dave_B's.. *DOH*

"Bus" speed refers to how fast data is exchanged between 2(or more) devices connected(or plugged in) to the motherboard, or mounted directly to the board. FSB stands for "Front Side Bus". This is the setting that is changed in order to overclock the processor. FSB speed is the rate at which data is exchanged between the processor and motherboard(generally the memory DIMM's). 100mhz FSB translates into 100 million exchanges of data each second. The PCI bus is what all your expansion cards are plugged into. Those PCI slots and ISA slots on your motherboard are using the PCI bus to exchange data between the sound card, modem, or most anything plugged into a slot. The PCI bus is also the pathway that your hard drive uses to move data, so you can see how important it is to keep the PCI bus speed near the 33mhz speed its expecting to see. LOts of devices on your computer can act funny if the PCI bus speed is messed up. Kinda like a clock thats running too fast or too slow. AGP stands for "Accelerated Graphics Port"- something relatively new in the world of computing. This "AGP" is specifically designed to improve the graphics performance by doubling the amount of data that can be moved thru the VGA card(VooDoo card etc). AGP is exclusively for video. So there you have 3 Busses. FSB speed, PCI speed, and AGP speed are all tied together; when you change FSB speed, you also change the speed of AGP and PCI bus. PCI bus speed is supposed to be 33mhz, on all computers. AGP bus speed is supposed to be 66mhz. Now....the FSB speed is either 66mhz(celeron,old pentium) or 100mhz(p2,p3,most others). Inside that CPU chip is a circuit that detects the FSB speed and synchronizes its data flow with it. Generally the CPU is working faster than the "bus speed". So its common to have a CPU thats making many calculations for every cycle of the bus speed. In the case of a Celeron400, this CPU is running at 6 times the speed of the FSB. Celerons were meant to be used with a 66mhz FSB speed. So you can always do the math to see the speed of the processor----FSB(66mhz) X Multiplier inside CPU(6,for a c400, 5.5 for a c366, etc.)= Processor speed(400mhz for c400). That looks like 66 x 6 = 400. That "multplier" of 4 or 5 or 6 or whatever is set by INTEL at the time the chip is made, it cannot be changed. This is what is meant by the term "clock-locked". If you were able to change the "multiplier" setting in the chip, you wouldn't need to increase the FSB speed to overclock the processor. There are ONLY 2 ways to increase the speed of your processor- raise FSB speed, or raise multiplier setting(which is impossible on most INTEL cpu's). The problem with raising the FSB speed is that EVERYTHING connected to the computer is recieving its timing from that FSB speed. The PCI bus runs at 1/3 FSB speed for a 100mhz system, or 1/2 FSB speed for a 66mhz system. So either way the PCI bus speed is 33mhz. AGP bus speed is always 66mhz, or twice the speed of PCI speed. The AGP usually has a setting of 2/3 of the speed of FSB for a 100mhz system or 1/1 for 66mhz system. Watch what happens when you raise that FSB speed to get it to overclock: lets try the 83 mhz FSB setting for a Celeron400- FSB= 83mhz(raised from 66mhz), PCI speed is 1/2 of this or 41.5mhz, AGP is 1/1 with FSB for a speed of 83mhz. Raising the FSB to 83 from 66 makes your C400 go from 400mhz to 498mhz. 6 x 66fsb = 400 and 6 x 83mhz = 498. If you were using a C366, instead, then your CPU speed would be 5.5 x 66 = 366 and 5.5 x 83 = 456mhz. The only difference in those Celeron chips is the setting of the multiplier. c300's are locked at 4.5, 333's are 5, 366's are 5.5, 400's are 6, 433's are 6.5 etc. etc. All of this is basic mathematics, once you understand how the numbers relate to each other. Trust me, I am no genius. If I can understand this crap, anyone can. You'll learn a lot just by reading the posts here at HardwareCentral, I know thats where my knowledge comes from. All overclocking really is, is the utilization of CPU resources above the rate that the manufacturer intended(or warranties it to work for that matter). Most electronics are designed with a manufacturing tolerance that will still allow the "bad"(slow) ones to work just fine. All you do is hope you got a chip that isn't at its max just running at its factory speed. Damn this is getting long, email me with any questions I haven't answered....

okeee guys...
    i am so thanksfull.......
    after three years making music on someones elses computer, for the firs time i got my own machine....
    thats the reason i come out with this basics
    questions......;-))))
    thank you once again.....

Thread Information