Amd k6-3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Amd k6-3

Amd k6-3

I recently bought a AMd k6-3 450...

What are the usual temp for the cpu and the case??
    I bought a stick of 32mb Pc-100 ram into it..( the rams were labeled with the suffix of 7.5 ns)
    I tried to overclock it to 112x4.5=504
    wouldn't post maybe it can't run in 112mhz

I also have a ATA-66 harddrive with 66 controller onboard...how do i know if it really runs at 66??

What is the default voltage for my cpu...
    ( mine is at 2.4v)

I also bought a brushless blower (snail shape)...
    but i realized the connecting pins were different than the ones in my mb and the power supply's...
    it's has two pins..
    how do i connect it??

ok 2.2 or 2.4 is defalt for the cpu. and as for the blower look below your cpu for a place to plug it in.. it'll say like cpu fan or fan power. and as for running at 66.. it's not a constent 66.. it'll very alot.. get a good benchmarking program.. my favorit is probly 3d mark max 99 and winbench or winstone.. go to FTP.zdnet.com, then go to folder zdbop. you can DL all them there kinda big though. you can test every thing from hard disks to display and cpu ... very good programs.. give a place to compair your scores on the www too..
    good luck

I opened up my case...
    The connectors were next to my cpu.
    I found the conectors for Power Fan and CPU Fan but they are in 3-pins form...

The blower is in 2-pins form...

???

Is 32mb of ram all you have? If it is you might want to think about getting at least another 32mb. As for the 2 pin blower on a 3 pin connector you can try and put it on if it will fit, but you would have to chose the top 2 or the bottom 2 pins. I would imagine that you could buy a three pin connector at Radio Shack if all else fails. If you do that then you can place the two wires where they need to go and forget about a third wire. Hope this helps.

Current Processor:
    AMD K6-3 450Mhz
    CPU Dhrystone 1384 MIPS
    FPU Whetstone 532 MFLOPS

Current Hard Drive:
    Maxtor DiamondMax (ATA-66)

Drive Index: 9429

Test File Size 48MB
    Current Disk Cache 3MB
    Maximum Disk Cache 22MB
    Minimum Disk Cache 996kB

Buffered Read 191MB/s
    Sequential Read 11MB/s
    Random Read 6MB/s
    Buffered Write 135MB/s
    Sequential Write 13MB/s
    Random Write 10MB/s
    Average Access Time 5ms (estimated)
    Is the benchmarks good? I still don't know if my drive is going at ATA-66 mode...

I've been running my K6-III/450 at 500mHz for two months on a Tyan Trinity S1598 mobo. I haven't had any trouble yet, but I was unable to install Win98 when the machine was in its overclocked state. Thats a little scary, but doing the O/C afterwards seems to be stable. I'm using 2.4 V at 5 X 100 mHz bus.

I want Quake 3 NOW! NOW! NOW!

What are your benchmarks??

OK as for what my benchmarks are i need to know what program your using to do the benchmarks. i'll be happy to tell you. i have a AMD K6-2-450 {100 mhz FSB 4.5 mulity}
    it runs stable as a rock at 506. why it went to 506 is beyond me.. but it ran ok.. then my voodoo2 card went wacko on me so i lowered it back.. i ran the Q2 timedemo demo2.dm2 at 450 and 506 i only get 2 fps diferance. not enough for my eye to see. it runs hella fast @ 86.7 fps. well lemme know what benchmarking you use i'll do a test and we can compair..

HR

HighPing is right:

We need to use the same benchmarking software in order to accurately compare our systems. FYI, I gave you some bad info- I'm running at 2.5V. I forgot that I bumped it up. The default voltage for the k6-III/450 is 2.2V. I don't remember my exact system temperature offhand, but it's well within the specs that AMD has posted. It's not running much hotter than normal, but I have good cooling (thermal compound between fan and chip, and I run it with the case open.

p.s. 5 ms HD access time isn't shabby at all- I think you've achieved UDMA-66 ;-) Also, the AMD website has all of their specs and manuals online. Check it out.

Gibbo

(Still wants Quake 3: Now! Now! Now!)

The benchmark program i am using is
    Sisfot Sandra 99

Just to give you AMD guys a goal to achieve: C400@602
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Thread Information