Thermal paste results with Alpha heatsink.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Thermal paste results with Alpha heatsink.

Thermal paste results with Alpha heatsink.

Ok guys, I got off my lazy duff and bought some Thermal paste at Radio Shack and applied it to my K6-3 450Mhz CPU with the Alpha Heatsink and here are the results..

Before Thermal paste, it was averageing 49°Celcius. After Thermal Paste was applied, it dropped to 39°Celcius. That's roughly a drop from 120°F to 100°F. Not bad for a 2$ tube of gook.
    Unofficial Blizzard and Hardware Tech support.
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums

All the wonders people come up with by just doing the right thing!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

OK, these results are from a very short lived run at 600Mz.

Max temp 55C!! Added case fan to blow on back of cpu - max temp 50C!! Removed heat-sink and sanded bottom. Added a 20mm/20mm by 1mm thick copper plate sanded smooth. Re-assmebled with plenty of grease. Max temp 43C. Now did sanding help? Yes. Did adding the copper plate? Apparently so. Should I try this with out grease? NOT.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!! If you break it, you're gonna have to replace it.
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

hmm..All I did was post my results. I think that was maybe my 5th post in here compared to your 100+ posts. And you think i'm the one who gets a stiffy out of cooling my CPU. Sheesh. Why don't you sand your Hemmroids when they flair up. Maybe that will keep them from feeling hot and inflamed.

Anyways I got a good cooler, not a cheap one so I didin't need to sand it down nor would I want to. I'm also not into your retarded sanding campaigne either so save your hypothesis for the nerds who care.

[This message has been edited by Lord DreadWrath (edited 10-24-99).]

Silver grease is by far the best conductor of heat. But it's too expensive (and plycon.com just sold theirs out). Go back to Radio Shack and get Solder-weld (64-029) p. 207 of catalog. Slock it in those 180 grit grooves. Forget air a highly resistant medium.

TNproud -- I reject the premise of your "heat removing" argument. Everybody knows if you slick two moving surfaces in contact with grease or water or whatever, you separate the surfaces, thereby REMOVING THE HEAT SOURCE! The oil you put in your engine separates the piston from the cylinder wall. The piston rides on the oil, and then any remaining heat is indeed removed by the oil. Go back to your hootch cooler.
    My screen says: "Je pense, donc je suis."

Listen up you hick! The topic of this post wasn't intended to discount sanding heatsinks as a cooling improvement. I never even mentioned sandpaper. I was just curious as to how much thermal paste would improve cooling with a high quality heatsink such as the Alphas. I also NEVER mentioned you were wrong about sanding the heatsink.

Personally, I'm not obsessed about cooling my CPU down to room temperature so I don't care about sanding the heatsink. I also don't care if sanding works or not. So save your lame *** conclusions for people who care.

Tooltime tip - Save the sandpaper talk for woodshop BBS's Earnest T.

[This message has been edited by Lord DreadWrath (edited 10-24-99).]

I have to agree Lord, TnProud2b is a ****. Why the hell doesn't he shove his thermal paste idea up his arse. It works for everyone but him so maybe he doesn't know how to apply it ! Duh !. You sound like some kinda freaking weirdo
    By the way, you got a purty mouth. Wanna do a little prayin' for me. Them panties you got on.....take 'em off.
    Get a life you truly are a looser. I remember you said that a good way to prove that air is a better conductor of heat was to shove yer head in a hot oven, you obviously fried all your useful brain cells in the process. If air is so god damn good then why dont i just use no heatsink, pissin in the wind, free as a bird AIR to cool my system ?
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Get a woman they feel better.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

You're full of Barbara Streisand, 10proud. You love air. I can see a red wire down there going to a 500cfm Rotron pointed at your nekkid cpu. Too much pressure, om. You deserve what happened.
    My screen says: "Je pense, donc je suis."

That nekkid 'puter is,well,purty 'citin'.
    I'm gonna print it and take down my picture
    of Lucy Lawless and put that up in its place.
    Yor Cornputer can be yer friend.

Hey y'all need to continue this scrapping,it was entertaining me
    Yor Cornputer can be yer friend.

even if it's not great thermal grease WHOOPS airs arse fifteen ways from next sunday

sorry Tennesse

Thread Information