K6-III 450, any reason to go 4*112?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: K6-III 450, any reason to go 4*112?

K6-III 450, any reason to go 4*112?

What are your experience on this? What effect would that have on my IDE drives and RAM? Can I stick to my existing cooling? Large heatsink, large fan that is. And will i notice the difference, if any?
    My fingers have that overclock itch again, damn, there must be something left to overclock.

///David

You will get a performance increase. It is doubtful that it will be noticeable, but who knows? My experience is that AMDs don't take too well to having their default bus speed changed however. I got my K6-2 to run stable at 112*3.5 at 2.6v, but it just got too hot (stock HS/fan) at that high voltage. So long as you have decent RAM (8ns CAS2) you shouldn't any problems with peripherals.

------------------
    success unshared is failure
    Learn how to sell on eBay at www.PowerSellerPros.com

I have a k6-2 450@504 (112x4.5) 2.7v.. Lost of cooling.. An Alpha/60mm fan and two 3'' case fans but it is very cool @ no more than 5.c above room temp..Good Luck!
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

I have had noticeable performance increase by setting the fsb to 112 with socket7s
    an Intel233mmx from 2.5x100 to 2.5x112=280
    (iknow processor speed increase but overall perfomance was greatly improved)
    k6-2 450 to 448 was much more responsive than at 500

provided your other components are decent quality (for stability) you will experience better performance from them all and hence your system, with an unnoticable decrease in actual cpu speed - but your cpu will be more effective with the faster components
    but cooling with K6xs is a big issue it might be fine but it may also want extra cooling
    it's definitely worth a try and you can always just set it back if temperature is excessive, you get craches or get to scared.

I tried my K6-3 400 on 112mhz buss,was screemin along for a little while,but then lots of blue screen errors,I think it was AGP running faster that caused it & not the CPU,anyway it didn't work out.Try 100X 5.0 & raise voltage to 2.6, you might get lucky.

my AMDK62-450 is at 4.0@112. and the performance with 3dwinmark increased a lot. probably got a +250 for CPU Speed and 3Dmarks.

i tried going for 4.5@112, but i don't think my 64MB of RAM was able to handle the bandwith from CPU to memory and vice versa. i could boot to windows, but once i perform some memory hogging programs, i get page faults. just ordered another piece of 64MB, after that i should get going.

got a badass cooling setup, my temperature normally stays 1c to 3c over room temperature. never hits above 30c even with full CPU load. right now room temperature is 24.5c, CPU temp is 26.2c, but again, all i got up is IE5.0 and Outlook Express.

------------------
    #!/bin/sh

cat /usr/info
    socket drop (sdrop)
    sdrop@spyring.com
    #!/bin/sh

cat /usr/info
    socket drop (sdrop)
    sdrop@spyring.com

The reason I'm asking if it'll be of any use on a K6-III is that I've read in a post somewhere (either on www.3dnow.net or on this forum) that the K6-III won't benefit as much of a increase in fsb because of the L3 cache. But this is way beyond what little I know about cpu's so I thought I might ask before I tried it. (It's so hard to reach those damned jumpers).

well this is somewhat true.. In all, the L3 really isnt gonna have much impact either way.. Unless you have a meg or even better 2 megs.. A 512k settup will not make much differnce, turn it off and do some benching.. if you have 512k you shouldnt see any performace loss.. but if you can get it on the 112 fsb, I couldnt see how it could hurt,,...
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

I will do some benchmarking to find out (1Mb L3).
    Would an increased fsb generate more heat if the total Mhz is the same as before, or even less? That is without changing the voltage aswell.

///David

Thread Information