Does overclocking reck your CPU?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Does overclocking reck your CPU?

Does overclocking reck your CPU?

I have read in magazines that overclocking recks your CPU and voids your warranty. Does this mean even if i overclock my P3 450 and put another fan on still recks my CPU?
    Thanks
    Whenever there's doubt, there's no doubt.

Overclocking doesn't wreck your cpu. Heat wrecks your cpu. Take care of the heat and you wont have to worry about wrecking your chip. Overclocking does however void any warranty on the chip. Overclock a little at a time to see what works. Once you get to a point where it is not stable back of a notch or try with a slightly higher voltage. Hope this helps.

Overclocking generally gives your CPU a shorter life but how long do you think you're going to stay with that same CPU?

Also, it doesn void your warranty but how in the world is anyone going to know that you overclocked your chip. If it breaks, it's easy to return. The place you bought it from will never know what you did to break it in the first place!

"Did you overclock it"? "What does that mean"?

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computerô

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

yes this is one situation in which ignorance will help ya out...

but dont say that they will never know to loud ...they may come up with a way to detect it at the manufacturer...lol

so lets not abuse it...we cant have amd locking up also like intel. Especially if they are getting scammed on returned o/c chips...

just a thought...

------------------
    when working together we can always find a way..
    when working together we can always find a way..

Overclocking is great and I'm all for it i have my athlon 500 at 750... but i have to say this if you overclock your chip and fry it because you didn't do something right then you should NOT return the chip as defective. It is not the manufacturers fault the you ran your celeron 300 ant 10000mhz and it melted right through the motherboard and you case and lodged into your bedroom floor... If you have the guts and balls to overclock your chip remeber that at the time you are risking the life of your cpu and you should be willing to have to forkout for a new chip. Good Luck..

[This message has been edited by Paragon (edited 10-30-99).]

Well said, Paragon.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Thanks for your advice guys, i decided to get a new fan that is bigger and snap it on to my P3 chip to see how it goes. Yeah i mean i think it is slack to give the chip back to the manufacturer when you screwed it up yourself but toolbox has his own ways and the way that he uses has an advantage. Nice on Paragon, did you have to snap a bigger fan on your AMD K7?
    CHEERS!
    Whenever there's doubt, there's no doubt.

Thread Information