Has anyone clocked 450 to 558 with ASUS P2B-F?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Has anyone clocked 450 to 558 with ASUS P2B-F?

Hybrid View

Has anyone clocked 450 to 558 with ASUS P2B-F?

I guess it's either my bus or my hard drive maybe (maxtor 10.2 7200). Does anyone have the same ASUS board? If so what have you acheived and could you help me?

Tux... I was using the p2b-f, It's layin round here sumwhere... its a great fast stable board, just make sure u use the most recent bios, and yes I did get up 2 558 with that board, however/ I had to tape pins to raise the voltage with that board,Go to tomshardware.com, and look for an old article named Pin B1 its all there as to the pins to cover , etc...after running at 2.2 volts for bout a month, I was able to pull my chip, uncover the pins... and run at 558 at 2.0 volts.. All chips are different tho.. but the board is great !!!!!!why not just run at 112 fsb, at 504.. thats pretty fast too . < uses the p3b-f now... runnin at 150 fsb.. Have fun.
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Yes i have a P2B-F and im running my P3 450 at 558 and its working very stable at 2.0 v
    but my HD is a IBM 10 GB 7200 RPM, my ram is 8ns PC100, and i dont use a AGP card, but is very stable at 558

Thanks, yah I really don't have anything that would require me to push my system to such lengths. I guess in the end it's just bragging rights, or unless you wanna run games 1600 by 1200 32 bit 60 frames a sec. Personally 800 by 600 32 bit is fine with me. 1024 by 768 32 bit is outstanding with a high frame rate. But anything else seems, sorta pointless.

I have a Celeron 366@550 on that board. I can run at 577 stable. However, my Maxtor 13 gig drive does not like any bus speeds other than 33 mhz. I called Maxtor and they said anything out of 33 is out of spec. The drive runs cool and runs fast but don't try and overclock it or it will throw garbage everywhere. My next drive on order is an IBM 18 gig. I heard people have good luck with those at odd bus speeds. It sounds to me like that is your problem. I am running 8ns cas 2 Micronics ram and have no problems with it and my Seagate at faster bus speeds. Best of luck.

Heh, I just asked this question in a dif thread but decided this was a better place.
    I have a p3 450 and the ram won't allow me to o/c the bus to 124mhz, so I'm sittin at 112mhz bus right now. I was just wondering if anyone has experimented with any of the in-between speeds. I have an Asus P2B-F and I noticed that there are jumper settings for FSB of 115 and 120mhz as well. The reason I haven't tried them is because according to the manual, this is o/c'ing the pci to 38 and 40 respectively. This seemed awfully high for the pci. Any thoughts on this?

Tux,
    If the hard drive is your prob, which I don't know cause u didn't say what "kind" of probs u were havin, then u may be able to run this board at 124fsb with the jumper setting so the pci is running at 31mhz. Check ur manual. Hope this helps

Guess I'll post here too.

Bolistic!

You are already running pretty far out of specs with pci bus of 37.33. I'd push it to 115 to see if it'll go. If memory is whats holding you back, you could try to up the I/O voltage. My P3B-F has settings for 3.5 and 3.65. This could help you get to 124 which uses 1/4 multiplier and would be a much better pci bus speed.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

I/O voltage? I've never seen a setting for this, or heard of it for that matter. Can u tell me a little more? Where do I find it, are there any risks associated with raising it?

Forgot to tell you that this would be a jumper (not dip switch) on your board if you have it. Check your manual. I/O stands for in/out, this supplies the power to your chipset, ram and agp card. If ram is whats holding you back you might try raising CAS latency first. I have always used the speed chip on the ram though. Up to 112(I think) it is 2, at higher bus speeds it goes to 3 automatically. I use 8ns ram and am running 133 FSB very stable. I tried 140mz but didn't POST. I upped the I/O to 3.65 and loaded Windows. It seemed to be stable but for the 30mz extra it didn't seem worth it so I'm running 600mz. One word of caution is that it does raise the AGP voltage also. Make sure you dont overheat.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Thread Information