oc PIII 550 to 630
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: oc PIII 550 to 630

oc PIII 550 to 630

i have a PIII 550@616 right now. i tried to get it to run at 630 (5.5*115) but the computer is not stable at all. i can still post the machine, but after working with windows for a while, it will either hang or crash. should i try increse the voltage to 2.1 and see if it's stable or not. the other thing is that i don't have any extra cooling for my system and my Winbond chip on the board fried and i haven't take to to repair yet(will do so around next week) so do u guys think it's a food idea for me to increase the voltage to 2.1v to see if it's stable or not without any extra cooling!!

btw. i don't even have case fan, the only large fan in the case is from the power supply which is blowing stuff out of the case!

Sounds unwise to fiddle with voltage at this time! May be OK, but you don't quote current temp inside your case. "GET MORE COOLING" would be my advice, since upping the V's is definitely gonna up the temp!
    The situation is hopeless, but not serious.

Mr. Zeke, I think it'll be okay to push the voltage up by 0.1 Volts. But yes, the best solution is to get better cooling!

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Increase V by 5% to gain less than 4% speed hike on a system (with one fried component)that's not "stable" at the moment, knowing that the resistance is the same and that the temp, therefore, WILL increase?

I call it risky. Case fans are super cheap! Maybe if you got 1 more fan the system WOULD be stable at 616MHz!
    The situation is hopeless, but not serious.

My PIII550@616 is rock solid without any extra. i think i really need a high powered case fan to blow some air is and a small one beside my power supplt (which can fit in that gap) to take air out!

markest,

Try increasing your L2 latency.. my P-3 450 runs at 600 with L2 latency at 1, but 630 it only runs with L2 latency at 10 or higher.

I just got mine there! I had it at 110fsb with no extra cooling for about 2 months now. I could never reach any higher with much stability, but thought it was the ram (hadn't played wit latency though)

Got new ram in there and have:

Abit BE6
    P3550 - SL3F7 (that and the SL3FJ are listed at O/C.com as the best two)
    256M Ram - 8n
    9G ata66 WD Drive
    V3-3K
    40xCD
    LS120

Went to play some more and first tried 115@latency 15. Worked fine, but the 3D Mark bench was almost half that at 110 (bleah) finally got the system rock stable at:

Lat-default (1 I guess)
    Cas3
    Ram ECC off
    115fsb
    2.3V
    Added another 3k rpm fan to the top of the standard heatsinc - it comes with a 6k rpm 60mm and the heatsinc is the newer 'folded' type.

With a fan on the V3 I have it running at 190Mhz as well.

The machine now boots to Win98 in under 30 sec - I'm pretty thrilled

Works great - cpu temp about 52C even after heavy gp - can spike to 54, but not much.
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Stingray,

With a L2 Latency setting of more than 8 it disables your L2 cache. I would bet you get better performance at 600 with L2 then at 630 without.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Splatt
    my PIII is a SL3FJ
    My computer is
    Abit BE6(with all the sensors not working, but will send it back to fix)
    128MB 8ns
    CL DVD Encore 6x w/dxr3
    Mitsumi 4x2x8 CD-RW
    CL TNT2 Ultra
    20.4GB Maxtor 5400rpm ata66 drive

and my computer is now running at 112fsb without any cooler and it's run fine

hey people!
    i got my PIII 550 running at 630MHz in 2.05V and without any extra cool(but i took off the 2 side covers of the case) but any way, my computer can finish 3D Mark Max's test and Sandra 99 Std.'s CPU and Multimedia (sse, mmx) testing
    i'm so excited!!!
    i hope my computer won't crash!

"...and my Winbond chip on the board fried..."

I fear you still wanting to OC your system more when its in that state. That borders on wrecklessness.

And people think I am bad

------------------
    Black Holes are where God divided by zero.
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Anyone that's fried the temp monitor chip in their motherboard is alright in my book. A true hardcore overclocker! All bow down - we are not worthy.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Dimirani,

I noticed that.. I use normally at 600 (133 bus) because i can let the memories in CAS2 and the L2 cache in 1. The system overall performance is better

Thread Information