OC question that has me baffled.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: OC question that has me baffled.

Hybrid View

OC question that has me baffled.

I have my system clocked to 504 (4.5x112). And it's stable but if I increase the bus speed to 124MHz it's not so. So people are telling me decrease the voltage to 2.2 or 2.0 volts; even though I have an ASUS P2B-F, and it only provides .5v increments. Well then what speed do you set the but at? I thought anything over 124MHz would be damaging. How do you get 558 from 450 using 2.2/2.0 volts?

Please explain I'm confused.

The voltage is only for the CPU and has nothing to do with the bus speed. A lower voltage runs the CPU cooler but may not be enough for the CPU to run properly! Generally, to get higher clock speeds on your CPU you'll need to raise the voltage slightly.

Playing with the voltage is pretty harmless experimentation, just don't go too high (above 2.3 volts) or you may easily fry your CPU!

I assume you have a P3/450? 112 MHz bus is good. The problem with 124 or above is that the PCI and AGP cards are way out of spec. These will most likely be your limiting factors.

You should increase the voltage not decrease it for stability at higher bus speeds. However, you should be able to hit 558 at the standard 2.0 volts. You should check the speed of your ram. It should have a 8 or a 10 on it somewhere (I'm assuming its PC100). 8ns ram is rated for the 124 bus. 10ns is only rated for 100mz. You probably have some flexability with the ram like 112mz out of 10ns ram but its not going to do 124mz.
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

There's another member here who needs help in increasing the voltage on a P2B-F... try and help him out!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I have 256MB 8ns 125MHz RAM.

but if I set the voltage to 2.0v then instead of my system running at it's current 504MHz. It will be running at 224MHz, right? Yes axel I am currently running running 4.5x112. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe there's something you guys need to tell me because I still don't see how I can acheive 558MHz with 2.0v?

What your missing is the 2.0 or 2.2 is the core voltage of the processor. The 4.5 number that you are talking about is the Multiplier. You multiply the multiplier by the front side bus speed to get your internal processor speed, e.g. 4.5x100Mhz=450Mhz. Your processor has the multiplier locked at 4.5 so changing that is not an option. If you lack some stability at a certain speed you can increase your voltage slightly to make it stable. Your processors default voltage is 2.0V.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Hmmmm...Voltage will NOT change your CPU's MHZ. You overclock by changing the FSB to a higher #. You are using the formula already (FSB(112)* multipler(4.5)= MHZ(504).
    If you are not able to achieve the speed your trying for then there are several factors that could be the problem. Ram is appearntly not your problem. It could be as Axel suggested that your pci/agp cant take the higher bus speed. You may be able to select a 1/4 multiplier for your pci bus instead of 1/3 standarded. Heat could also prevent your o/c'ng attemps. This is where changing the voltage comes in. If you cant post, try increasing your voltage by .5 increments. Before you do serious damage to your processor, check your cpu's temp if you are able to. Higher bus speeds and higher voltage will also mean higher temps. If you are showing above lets say 110F at 504mz you should replace your heat-sink and fan with an after-market set-up. Check out:
    3DCool.com

------------------

No it runs stable actually at 504. I'm thinking about purchasing an ALPHA because I finally found a store; the only store in all of greater Toronto area probably that actually has them in stock. Should I try setting the multiplier to 5.0? So ultimately 5.0x100; 5.0x103; 5.0x112. This core voltage...is it monitored in the BIOS. Cause I think I remember seeing something like that. I think it was sitting between 2.1-2.3 if that makes sense.

Cant't do that your processor is LOCKED at 4.5 ( unless you want to cut a pin and hope you CPU still works (only on s370) ). You can only up your FSB and if your PCI or AGP is not working at 124 then your can't go higher. that's it end of the line unless you want to go buy better memory better video card and better PCi cards that like the 124 FSB and whatever mulitplier you use ( p2bf 1/3) At 124 your PCI is running at 41 and your AGP is at 83.. a 1/3 increase .. most cards aren't made to be run out of spec that high therefore you either need cards that like it or you back off the FSB

Thread Information