PIII & Softcooling limits?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PIII & Softcooling limits?

PIII & Softcooling limits?

I've got my PIII450 (SL37C) running at 600 (4.5x133) on a SOYO 6BA+IV. I also use the waterfall soft cooler to try and keep temperature down. Without it CPU temp soon reaches 65-70c (which I believe from Intels heat specs is the max recommended) However with waterfall it drops to around 28c most of the time. Is it safe to overclock a bit further (I can get it up to x138 so far, but have'nt tried any further due to heat worries)if waterfall keeps the cpu temp down to 28 most of the time. Or do I really need to rip of that retail fan/heatsink and fit something a bit sturdier ?(I got a retail combo as I read that they were better silicon for o'clocking)

Also does anyone know just what the different L2 cache latency adjustments on the Soyo boards mean. To get to 600 I had to change from def to set01 !?

Something doesnt sound that right. Waterfall shouldnt have that big of an effect on temperature. Check the temperature manually. That is, take your case off, and touch the heatsink (believe me, youll know if its 28 degrees or 70 degrees ). 65-70 is WAY too hot, you'll kill that thing pretty quickly, so id check the temperature yourself, and find out whats going on before you go any higher.

------------------
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."

Hi, havent had time to have the case off yet, but checked the figures again and I think a couple were mixed up on waterfall. I clocked it back to 567 @2.05v and checked temp with Soyo Hware doct. After 1hr of Driver running demo movies (aint got Q2 demo to hand)it said cpu temp got to 70. Didn't crash though. With waterfall running it stays around 36c. Soyo doctor confirms this. If these figures are correct will it be safe to run at 600 with waterfall? Ill try and get the case off tommorrow and check by hand.

Also if its better to fit a juicy fan how easy is it to remove the retail kit? Or it it easier to sell it and get an OEM?

Don't trust those doctor and stuff. Go into the BOIS and read those figures in there

Thread Information