how do i oc mine and what is safe..??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: how do i oc mine and what is safe..??

how do i oc mine and what is safe..??

i have the new matsonic 6260s board...131 mg ram....intel p166mmx chip....3d banshee video. running win98 2nd edition. 9.7g fujitsu HD etc..

What can clock to and how...i know the jumpers for the clock multiplier and bus, but do i need to change the voltage...
    i have a 3 fans in system so heat is not a problem. on mounted on chip..one beside and another of video card.

Pls help would like not to kill chip...?
    when working together we can always find a way..

The Pentium 166 isn't such an overclockable chip. You might not be so succesful with that!

Never-the-less, try and keep the voltage to what is specified. Only increase it if you can't get the CPU to run stable!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Check your manual and see how big a processor your board can take. A K6-200 or faster can be had for cheap, and it's faster than a Pentium and they're not clock locked. Just make sure you have good cooling.
    ". . . so much to learn . . . where to start?"

Whoa Jamdy - I just checked out your board & it will take up to K62-400 what the 'bleep' are you running puny Pentium 166 for?? K62s are cheap 400mhz = $37 check it out at
    < www.pricewatch.com > But for a lark you have the opportunity to go where few have gone before. - try running booting 166 at 100mhz FSB and see if it posts. Oh, and don't forget the cooling
    ". . . so much to learn . . . where to start?"

No way... the Matsonic board can handle an AMD 400.

Point me to the URL!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

****...well the p166 is all i got..and no way i will get a chip here for 39.00..and being on the net is no good, i dont use credit cards to purchase here.

But, how do i try it at 100mhz fsb lol..
    do I just set the multiplier at 1.6 and then the 100mhz...??? no voltage change huh..!..and will look into a chip what do ya recommend..? and yes the board is 500mhz capabilities so specs say..just spent enough allready on the sys..and this chip i had..bad luck bug for the last while if ya get my drift. one thing after another..
    www.matsonic.com in the active products section or bios drivers section...is first on list...

jamdy, there's a lot more to OC'ing than your likely to get anyone to post to this board! There are numerous "how-to" papers on the net that are fully detailed and easy to understand. Try the one at www.sysopt.com . It's a very good one.

Thank you...

on my way...is all the answers i need..
    everyone here is great and helpful. but even a url for me read and learn myself is very best...rather learn on my own sinks in..lol

Thread Information