could my case be a potential problem?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could my case be a potential problem?

could my case be a potential problem?

i recently purchased a fulltower atx case. along with it came a power supply and little buttons in the front and wires to connect to the headers on the board. anyways, i connect all the pins to the correct headers, hit the switch in back of the power supply and hit the button in the front of the case. the power comes on, but no video. so i hit the button once again to turn it off, and it won't turn off. in order for me to turn it off i must hit the switch in the back of the power supply. could the reason why my video is not popping up be caused by the powersupply at all? i've already tried a different video card, diferent ram, different everything. i still get the same result. please just give me a straight out answer to if it is possible for the powersupply to be causing all this? and why doesn't that dang button turn off the computer!

I used to have this problem with my old case (a gateway piece of crap), what it turned out to be was that the wire coming out of the power button kept falling out, so when i hit the power button, nothing happened. if you were able to turn on your system, i doubt this is the problem, but it never hurts to check it out.

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

I'd say your video card isn't in all the way, or the ram or cpu is not seated all the way. I had this problem. I've also had a problem with a piece of metal from the case shorting out the system board.

------------------
    ATI cards realy do "FLY" especially when thrown

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire

well, see thats the thing, i've tried different video cards and different strips of ram. and i made sure it was properly seated in the slot, i also tried it on all different 5 pci slots. i _ALSO_ bought another board, same model, abit be6, and had the same problem. the last 3 conclusions i came up with that could possible causing the problem is...the power supply, the ram, or the processor. also, i get no beeps when turning on the comp. no beeps! there has to be some beeps! i'm returning both boards and just buying an abit bp6 dual socket 370 board. screw slot 1, its gonna die anyways.

Hey XPRO, I'm glad you asked that question because I have the same problem with my board (BE6). If I shut down the system, when I go back to turn it on, the system seems to start but no video and I can't use the power button in front to turn it off, I have to use the power supply button. However, when I switch the power supply button off then back on, then hit the power button in front in will come on. This happens all the time. I have switched out everything(CPU, RAM, HD, Video, power supply). Hey by and chance, do you have a WesternDigital HD? Also, if you get an answer please let me know, I can't figurethis out for the life of me. I believe it is the board.

I can't think of anything more frustrating than what you're experiencing. I really don't think it's the ps, I had a bad ps before and got nothing when pressing power, no beeps, no lights, no fans. Like biohazard2 said the usual cause of that is that something isn't seated but you've checked that. If you have an old ps, try it. As he also mentioned, check for a short, use plastic spacers where you can and check for bent pins in the AGP slot or the CPU slot. You may want to clear the CMOS and start all over again using only the bare essentials.

Now that I think about it, at first I couldn't boot one of my machines after I switched to an Additronics case. It turned out that the wires were all labelled incorrectly and I only discovered this after hours of frustration. It's probably something very simple.

I have found that case manufacturers often ship mounting studs that are too short. This can prevent cards from seating properly. I have a bunch of tall brass studs that I use on every system I build. Sometimes the simplest things can cause big problems. I am not sure if my advice applies to your situation, but I felt the need to voice my opinion.

Let me add that I also swapped out the power switch (on the front of the case). That didn't help either. The only thing left is the board(BE6). Let me also let you know this is NOT random, it locks the first time, then boots on the second time. That is what I can't figure out. There IS a pattern and that is what makes me believe it is a MoBo problem.

i recently had this problem on a system I just built for someone. The board, chip, ram ,etc where all from an old system but went into a new case...they all worked fine in the old system and in the new one you have to flick both power buttons in some random configuration (haven't found a pattern that works) to get it to turn on...it's only a minor problem for him as the computer is usually on and rarely get rebooted.. since all the other components worked minutes before in the old case and it was merely a transplant, i assume it's the case. Also from previously working in a computer store, I'd say the case. Some ATX power supplies didn't give quite enough voltage (just a little low, but just enough to make it work eratic.) Another person, it was the trouble with the pwer in thier house in that one outlet, it wasn't wired right and kept shorting out. in my experience, there is many factors and usually trial and error in every aspect including your houses wiring have to be considered. I don't know if this help, but thought I'd share my experience.

I test Hardware a lot as my employer has around 28000 PCs. I also see a lot of very badly designed and implemented hardware.

My advice is to test the hardware step for step.
    Remove everything form the MB. No RAM, nothing, not even a video card.
    Then try it. Most systems should at least beep.

Add RAM & Video. Add Keyb. Add FDD.
    If you can, use a jumper to connect the PWR pins, do not rely on the switch (cables might be labeled incorrectly).

There is no need to add more things, if you get the system to display the BIOS or get a message indicating that there is no operating system, then you're there - just connect the HDDs, Mouse, PCI/ISA cards etc...

In my experience, its usually a short on the MB, incorrectly labelled Cables (or even incorrectly labelled pins on the LED/PWR block), or your MB really is broke.
    I have only once had a PSU fail, and that was because it was 6 years old and very dirty.
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

I forgot to add...Jumper your CPU and FSB settings as low as possible.
    Run your CPU at 60Mhz if you can, or 90.
    If you have, e.g. a P 233MMX, set it to 90Mhz and 2.8V CPU.

Also, clear your CMOS after every attempt, just in case.
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

If you have ATX soft-power off you must hold the power button down for at least 4 seconds to turn off the power.

I have also heard that the BE6 manual has some of connections backwards in the diagrams.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

LaoChe, yes i do have a wd also. and you beleive it is the board? so did i, so i bought another be6 board and got the same result. so i'm just dropping be6, and going with the much cheaper bp6. if you DO find a solution i'd like to hear it. i've had years of experience and i'm baffled with this problem.

XPRO, I know what you mean. I have never had this problem before either. I'm going to try the new BIOS update to see if that fixes the problem. Also, I heard that WD HDs had compatibilty problem with that board. I don't want to get rid of the board, because besides that problem the board is one of the best boards for overclocking. I got my PIII450 to run at 558 with the standard 2.0volts. And I believe that is one of the boards that will give you a better shot at hitting 600 w/ the PIII450. Well, I will continue the search for the very elusive answer to my board and let you know if I find out anything...

Well the problem with the video card could be caused by many diffrent things. But..the answer to your power supply problem may be easy to solve. Try holding the power button for a few seconds (up to 10)...If you have a switching power supply hitting the button once will set your machine in sleep mode. Holding the button will turn it off. My box is set for a 4 sec hold time before it will turn off.

------------------
    Iso
    Iso

Thread Information