P3 450 Overclocking
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: P3 450 Overclocking

P3 450 Overclocking

Hey I just bought a p3 450. I have a abit BH6 mobo maxtor 10 gig hd, PC100 ram, and not using a AGP card right now. I can clock it up to 112 mhz bus and it runs stable. If I go up to 124 mhz bus, the copmuter restarts and nothing happens. The bios dosen't show up and there is no signal to the monitor. After a couple times of restarting the bios loads but it changed the multipliers and bus speed to the original. Can any one tell me if it is the CPU that can't handle the bus speed or is it my ram. Any sugestions would be great thanks.

There really isnt any way for us to tell you, without you testing different RAM or a different CPU to confirm it. My first guess, though, would be the RAM. It seems that most P3 450s can handle 558MHz without a large degree of difficulty. You could, however, try to increase the voltage up to 2.1 or 2.2. Its possible that your CPU may just need a bit of coaxing. Also, make sure your RAM is running at CAS Latency 3. If youre running it at 2, your RAM may not like that, and could be the source of the problems. Furthermore, you could also try disabling the L2 cache on the CPU. There's no point in running the CPU like that, but if it works with L2 cache disabled, then you know what your problem is. Good luck to you.

------------------
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."

Hey thanks for the advice. What does the CAS latency do. I tried changing that to 3 but it still did the dame thing. I think it can go from 1-15. What does it do when you change those # around. Thanks for responding.

My understanding in this area isnt as wonderful as it probably should be, but here goes. Please correct me if im mistaken..

CAS stands for Column Address Strobe. When someone refers to the Latency of the CAS, theyre referring to the number of clock cycles needed to access data off of the CAS. So, a CAS Latency of 3 means that 3 cycles are required, where as a CAS Latency of 2 requires only 2 cycles. Given that, as you can imagine, CAS 2 is somewhat faster, but not all RAM is created equal, and some RAM has trouble with it. You can buy officially rated CAS2 RAM, but some non-CAS2 RAM can handle CAS2 easily. Its analagous to PC100 vs PC133 memory. You can buy PC133 memory guaranteed to run at 133MHz, but some high quality PC100 memory can handle 133MHz as well.

The bottom line is, to ensure maximum stability, and eliminate it as a potential source of problems, use a CAS latency of 3 for now.

------------------

It may be your video card or hard drive that does not like the overclocking. Disable UDMA support for the hard drive. My Maxtor ATA/66 @7200 overclocks fine but my 8gig maxtor and 7gig maxtor do not like overclocking. KJ

Thread Information