What processor to use? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What processor to use?

First off, ASUS makes no mobo with built in ultra 160/m scsi. I need the data speed of the 160. Otherwise I would have bought it.
    Second, going the Abit way costed me less with the most features. At the time of purchase the BE6 costed me $102 landed, to get a ASUS unit (P3B-F) would have costed me $127 landed.
    Had I known of the 6BA+III I would have gotten that instead since it costs less. But only by $10, so im not really out anything.

To answer your ? to DrFoo, the P2B-LS is a very good mobo, my dad runs them in three of his servers, but none of them are o/c'ed so I dont what to tell you there. So at cpu specs, I would recommend them.

------------------
    If God didn't want us to eat cows....He wouldn't have made them out of meat!!!

First off, ASUS makes no mobo with built in ultra 160/m scsi. I need the data speed of the 160. Otherwise I would have bought it.
    Quite true. Dare I ask what on Earth you need that much speed for?

------------------
    -=DrFoo {Sysop} Third Wave BBS (941) 355-7136=-
    http://dsl150-37.cftnet.com
    -=DrFoo {Sysop} Third Wave BBS (941) 355-7136=-
    http://163.125.153.98

My sons school project...then I get the computer when he's done.
    I dont know what he is doing though, but it requires somewhere around 90 apps to be run at the same time. I was going to let him use one of my other computers, but the PII 450, PII400, PIII 500 just dont cut it. They all lock up and then crash. Alot more will be added to the computer for the project, but I just wanted to get my multimedia done with since it was the most expensive ( DAMN ALL THE SOFTWARE IS WHAT BITES!!! ) That is why I need the beast to be overly overclocked. And the Athalon floating point just does not cut it (so i've read). Maybe if I add more memory to my current PIII 500 it will do the trick, but its still a slow processor for what needs to be done. That is why I need to know what processor can handle upto the 700-750 range by o/c'ing The most I've seen so far is 720, but it would lock up after 10min of use. I need to break that mark by another two hours (so he says). So with the right cooling I might be able to do it.

------------------

Well, I can't say from personal experience anything about trying to run 90 apps all at the same time. But I do know this. The more apps you run, often it is not the processor or the amount of memory you actually have or the speed or size of your hard drives that causes problems. I thought it was the 'resources' that ran out first. I understand resources enough for myself but not enough to explain them. You probably know at least as much as I do, so you probably don't need to hear this, but anyway... Resources are 3 chunks of memory used by Windows to keep track of things like window positions and icons and stuff like that. That's part of the reason they run out under many apps is because of all the windows that need to be kept track of. There is a tool that comes with Windows that lets you monitor resources, it's called the Resource Monitor. It's either already installed and located in your System Utilities folder, or if it's not installed you can install it by going to the Windows components tab of the install programs control panel. It can run in the tray showing a meter. Holding the pointer over it shows the percent free of each resource type. My point is that ultimately it may be resources that prevents 90 apps from running, not hard drive speed. But, if you do actually manage to get 90 apps running, you probably will need all the speed you can get.
    BTW if anybody wants to correct my explanation of resources, or make it more readable, please feel free, I want to see a better explanation myself.
    Also, sorry Sinful_Weeper, I didn't realize the card you meant was a 160MB/s. I knew they were coming but didn't know they were out yet. I assumed it was either a RAID controller or a card with more channels than the 2940.

------------------
    jjr512 "The Terminator"
    Justin J. Rebbert
    rebbertj@columbia.aim-smart.com

[This message has been edited by jjr512 (edited 09-22-99).]

Sinful_Weeper, I was looking at Adaptec's website at the 3950U2 and here's what I get from it. Please correct me on any point if I'm wrong, because they didn't get very technical about how they do it. They say that they get the 160MB/s using 2 U2 channels simultaneously, meaning they split the data to 2 80MB/s drives. I figure the controller sends half the data to one drive and the other half to the second drive at the same time, effectively doubling the transfer rate. Is this correct?

------------------
    jjr512 "The Terminator"
    Justin J. Rebbert
    rebbertj@columbia.aim-smart.com

Quite true to both things you stated. However the ultra 160 hd uses both channels from the card. It is backward compatable to do 80MB/sec so I read about in quantum anyway. As for resources I do believe you are correct, however by using one of my dads spare servers that is maxxed on memory (2GB) and configuring it same as this one would be, it ran all the software but was bottlenecked. He uses a PIII 450 on his spare. Taking that into account, I conclude that a 700MHz range processor would be needed. That is why I am asking what processor to use for o/c'ing. I never had the need to do so before, but I do now.

------------------

Thread Information