new comp
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: new comp

new comp

im thinking about getting a new computer and one of the reasons im gettin a new one is because of speed issues

an old pI overdrive just doesn't cut it
    im thinking of getting one with either two celerons or two AMD K6's and using jumpers to connect them

is this a good idea or should just stick with one processor at a time?

------------------
    "I am invincible"
    "I am invincible"

"im thinking of getting one with either two celerons or two AMD K6's and using jumpers to connect them"? What do you mean when you say this? A dual processor motherboard? A jerry-rigged motherboard? WTF?

dual processor motherboard

------------------
    "I am invincible"
    "I am invincible"

It depends what operating system you will be using really. If your going to run Windows 98, 95...forget it. They only offer single cpu support. If you run NT or RH Linux, you'll be fine.
    Word to the wise though, don't get a Win modem...they all suck, and if you use Linux...it will not be compatable at all. (there is one place that offers Win<Modem drivers for linux....but it doesn't work to well)

------------------
    If God didn't want us to eat cows....He wouldn't have made them out of meat!!!

Sorry but super7 won't run in a SMP configuration. You will have to use Celeron or Pentium II/III.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Even if you could get a dual CPU Super-7 board you wouldn't want it since it would only work with Intel chips. Who wants a dual Pentium 233 these days?

AMD's first chip to support multi-processor systems is the Athlon (K7) which is of course a whole different subject.

The real answer to your question is, if you don't have a damn good reason, you don't want a dual CPU system. It would be a total waste.

At present the only real use for dual CPU's is in a fairly heavily loaded server or for a high-end workstation (CAD, 3D Graphics editing, that sort of thing). While Quake III does/will support multiple CPUs, you can get better performance out of the game by spending your money in other ways.

------------------
    -=DrFoo {Sysop} Third Wave BBS (941) 355-7136=-
    http://dsl150-37.cftnet.com
    -=DrFoo {Sysop} Third Wave BBS (941) 355-7136=-
    http://163.125.153.98

ok then ill stick with one processor
    and it'll probably end up being an AMD-K6
    but i might try and avoid win 98 because it always ends up piisin me off but until i learn to program in C++ so i can create my own OS (beleive me i have some kick @$$ ideas for an OS that's a whole lot better than win98) and until then im stuck with windows

oh and if anyone knows of any good C++ prgramming books or tutorials then e-mail me at tommy263@crosswinds.net

------------------
    "I am invincible"
    "I am invincible"

Thread Information