removing heatsink
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: removing heatsink

Hybrid View

removing heatsink

i'm trying to take the heatsink off of my amd k-6-III that came with my compaq. how do I do this. it really seems to be stuck on there and i don't want to break the cpu.

thanks for any help
    bryan

Try to pry it upward a bit and then try twisting it left to right until the thermal tape gives way. Make sure not to push a screwdriver in between them... you'll scratch the heatsink or worse the processor.

------------------
    The Asus P3B-F Is One Board You'll Never Run Out Of Problems With!

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Compaq or AMD may have superglued the heatsink onto your processor. You may need a sledgehammer and a chainsaw to remove it!

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Do as toolbox said, try it while the cpu is still hot, just after playing a cpu intensive game. Heat softens the adhesive.
    If it does not work do as Dimarini says, but use a dull chainsaw and drink lots of beer.

Just in case your wondering why drinking lots of beer is important, it's because when it combines with the chemicals in your urine, it forms a super adhesive remover. Just squirt some (you know what I'm talking about) onto the CPU/heatsink and that sucker will come right off!

------------------
    jjr512 "The Terminator"
    Justin J. Rebbert
    rebbertj@columbia.aim-smart.com

Whew, I had an amd box version cpu.... you gotta drill the sucker to get rid of the fan.. would not recommend it. Very dangerous. Just add some cooling fans in the case, that should bring the temp down a bit if you're worried. Or you could replace it with an oem chip (no fan attached).

-Chinky

Thread Information