P III 450 won't O/C to well :(
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: P III 450 won't O/C to well :(

P III 450 won't O/C to well :(

Nice new Retail P III 450, Abit BE6 ( upgraded bios ), 128MB of PC100 8ns Century RAM ( CAS/RAS 2 ) and a Creative Riva TNT.
    The most I can get it too thats stable is 4.5 x 105. So how do I make it go higher ?

I have put my FSB to 112 (4.5 x 112=504MHz) and it works fine. In the Bios your shadowing or caching of video bios or ram should be off. All sdramm timmings should be set to the lowest possible numbers. 8 and 16 bit I/O recovery speed set to their maximum numbers (4 and 8 resp.)and add extra cooling fans.

I would try to set the 8 and 16-bit I/O recovery to NA. The only ISA you usually run is the modem anyway.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

I have a similar setup at 504 also with 0 problems. How is your cooling setup? Power supply fan sucking out, front fan sucking in near the base (at a minimum). Using a stock heatsink/fan setup, just like mine....Hmmm.
    Let us know what happens.

ISA ? Who uses ISA anymore. I'm using all PCI and AGP. I'm using the standard fan, but I have the Power Supply fan sucking out, a fan above the ATX port plate sucking out and another power supply fan at the front blowing in. The ave temp is 54 degrees C. But I'll try those suggestions ( I'm doing a bunch of Hard drive images right now ).

Thanks

Well its working fine at 504. The CAS/RAS is set to 3 in bios.

Thanks for the info.

Serial, parallel, and PS2 ports are all on the ISA bus.

Darkman, check to see if the cache on your PIII is 4ns. If it is 4.5ns then it won't overclock well. A PIII450 will do 558 on an Abit BE6 easy. You don't even have to increase the voltage (leave it at 2.0 volts). Heat should not be an issue since you are barely overclocking it. 504 is nothing for a PIII450 (that is if it has 4ns cache).

Also, make sure your AGP is set to 2/3, not 1/1.

how do i check the speed of my l2 cache (preferably not removing my heatsink, it's a retail and it's kind of difficult)?

------------------
    Relax, it's only ones and zeros
    Relax, it's only ones and zeros

Well, ya..The only way to take a look at your cache on your PIII is to remove the heatsink. And ya, it is difficult. But it won't do you any good if you see you have 4.5ns cache. Your not going to get rid of it. That has to be your problem because I have the same set up ( except i have PC133 ram, but PC100 8ns ram is good for 124MHz FSB ) and I can get 558 easy. You may have just gotten a bad chip ( meaning it has 4.5ns ). But 504MHz is not slow...

Thread Information