gateway motherboard being stubborn
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: gateway motherboard being stubborn

gateway motherboard being stubborn

i've got a gateway p2 350 with a fsb of... you guessed it, 100 mhz. problem is, apparrently gateway has done something very cruel and proprietary with thier motherboards. the @!&*$#% fsb has proven highly resistant to tampering. has anyone ever actually been able to adjust the fsb of a gateway "G6 350" motherboard? if so, can it be done with anything short of replacing the bios? all i get when i adjust it is a very sudden re-boot, and a reset to the defaults.

I had a somewhat similar system (a GP6 400) and my solution was to take all the useful pieces out of the motherboard (i.e. CPU, ram, expansion boards, etc. etc) and place them somewhere safe, then rip out the motherboard and throw it out of the window of my speeding car (yes, i was doing this in my car while i was driving 120)... anyways, the moral of this story is that when you want to do some funky stuff to your puter, you're better off getting away from the computer system distributors...

now i've got:
    AOpen AX6b+ mobo
    p2 400 @ a measly 448
    384mb PC100 SDRAM
    UW SCSI (on board)
    V3 3500 TV AGP (add a couple more acronyms here if you're really bored)
    Creative 5X DVD
    Mat****a (read: ultra-low-budget) 4X CD-R
    no floppy, cause those things suck
    3Com 10/100 NIC
    4 extra fans, just for the heck of it

actually, i'm going to stick with this until i can get my greedy little hands on a copper Athlon

Anyways, good luck with your endeavours

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Ditto here! Had a Gateway G6-350, which ABSOLUTELY cannot be overclocked (at least based on a large number of people over many bulletin boards). So I did as Machupo, yanked out all the parts (actually, I upgraded to TNT2Ultra and PII500) and replaced the mb with AOpen AX6BC Pro. Now I'm in o/c heaven, with complete control of fsb, voltage, etc. So far running smooth at 585 mhz. May not be much, but it IS fun!!!Good luck!

Machupo, why the V3-3500? If you need the video features, then that makes sense, otherwise it costs too damn much I have had in my system a V3-2k, which runs just fine at 185mhz (183 is standard w/3500, 166w/3k). At 110fsb it runs at 166. I currently have a V3-3k in there, and it will run 3dmax at 190 with a 110fsb (which is about 210 at 100fsb btw) which is all well and good, but the stats from 3DMax are basically the same. Why bother spending $50 more?? The card has been freezing playing Kingpin at 110fsb/190 and 185. I clocked it back to 100fsb/180 just to be sure it worked and Kingpin ran fine, but there are a few other things I want to try to be sure it was the card...

So yes, the 3K is better than the 2K, but not by much...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

to tell you the truth, i live in a 10X12ft. room (pretty frickin' small, eh? and it doesn't help to have a queen sized bed...) and with the addition of the v3 3500 i've consolidated almost all of my electronics into my computer (stereo, tv, telephone, fax, the list goes on...). Now, if only someone would find a microwave and a fridge that fit into PCI slots

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Thread Information