Liquid N2? for cooling? - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Liquid N2? for cooling?

interesting idea i geuss, the reason your paintball gun freezes has little to do with the co2 itself it is simply the rapid expansion of a compressed gas that causes the lowering of temp. when you compress a gas, any gas, it heats up when you uncompress a gas it gets cold, that's why you need a compressor to compress the gas a heatexchanger to cool things back down, and an expansion chamber and another heat, or cold if you will, exchanger to use the resulting temp drop. Just having the gas there doesnt make it cold. co2 is used because it is inert and plentyfull, nitrogen has the same propertys plus it liquifies at a warmer temp that co2 does. freon used in airconditioners is used because it exhibits rapid temp changes when compressed and uncompressed, better than most other gases. but any gas has these properties , just some of them work better for certain tasks than others. the fact still remains that you have to have what amounts to is an airconditioner for you computer. kryotech makes on built into a case for just such purposes but to keep costs down they limited the temp drop I think to 20-30 degrees rather that -50 like there complete systems.

[This message has been edited by rockinwy (edited 08-24-99).]

I wonder if you could actually use liquid nitrogen. It's cold enough that I think it might have an effect on the semiconductor properties of silcon...could be problematic, cause your CPU to short internally if electrical resitance across the pathways becomes to low.

Hi...This is a test..
    Please disregard this message.

With all the problems and walls that you are going to encounter! from using different gases what is wrong with using a regular air-conditioner unit and attaching a small air pipe to your computor unit for cooling, inexpensive and readily avaiable or purchase an off the shelf cooling unit and exchanger this will give you constant cooling to your system
    Mercury Outboard motors for boats have no after market service.

Get yourself a old 486 dx2/66 or sumthn
    and blast that with the N2 And see what
    happens.
    Big loss if you shatter it
    I managed to snap one in half due to a power supply surge.
    VG30DETT...
    nuff said

you guys are nuts, all i did to achieve 500mhz on a 300a stable was:

using a rubber band (does not conduct) strap another heatsink with a fan attached to the other side of the slot 1 converter, obviously the cpu had its stock fan/heatsink, but you just strap a couple of rubber bands between the grooves of the heat sink and maby a couple more fans, and you got one hell of a cooling system. you may have to use pentium 1 fans because they have to fit on the big power conecters.

------------------
    faster Faster! FASTER!!!
    faster Faster! FASTER!!!

I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned Kryotech. Although they get best results from AMD chips due to cooperation from AMD (-40C), for Intel they get 27C.
    http://www.kryotech.com/

------------------
    jjr512 "The Terminator"
    Justin J. Rebbert
    rebbertj@columbia.aim-smart.com

Here is a even better idea, which will even cost less then all this radio-active stuff.
    Get an ice sculptor to make you a case out of ice and build your PC in the freezer and operate it from there!

------------------
    One a Quest to Build to Ultimate System.
    One a Quest to Build to Ultimate System.

Yes, LN2 works, but, you have to precool the mobo to about -80C to keep thermal creep within reason. At -80C your capacitors on the mobo crack. What I'm going to try next is an autocascade system using R508a as the primary and R134a as the secondary. I just have to wait until I can find a big enough compressor at an auction or something. I'm to cheap to buy a new one. I'm going to shoot for about -120C on the cpu and about -40 on the mobo.

Update!!!! My box (expansion chamber) is built. Test I have done have shown no condensation until I remove all the form from around the box. Recap... Flowing nitrous oxide via line to the box. At entrance of box there is a .014 restriction. Box then gets to -112F when the liquid is expanded to a vapor. Vapor then exits box via another line to then exit out bedroom window. Highest pressure reached 760psi. Currently waiting on my bottles. I am trading my 4 10lb bottles in for 4 15lb bottles. Still have not found a compressor capable of compressing vapor back into gas due to the heat that is created. Still trying to get one from work that we were doing testing with. Almost had it in the puter to test but had to take bottles in. I am also waiting on my Enhanced P133 stick. Also,not only going to test it with my P3-500 (585@2.0v w/modified FAB28) but with my new c366 (567@2.0v with $6.00 heatsink+fan) too. I will keep guys up to date.

Thread Information