K6-2 350 freezes!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: K6-2 350 freezes!!

K6-2 350 freezes!!

For some reason when I overclock my k6-2 350 to 400 the computer sometimes doesn't display anything at all, and other times it freezes right after it goes through the BIOS, any suggestions on what I should do?

------------------
    if it isn't broke don't tinker with it till it breaks like me

400 might be too much for it, try to go lower and see what happens. Or get better cooling.

------------------
    Drongar
    Getting Paid to Surf the Web? The Check is here!!!
    moneyguy.bizhosting.com

I got mine to run stable @380 with a bus speed of 95mhz and multiplier @4.0 on P5-A mobo. I had it like this for 2 weeks, after which I turned it back. I had no problems with it. I am not much for OC'ing but just needed to try.
    If all else fails, ask the GUY on the couch...

http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/3703sah.png>

Sempron 2800@2100mhz ASUS KN8 512meg RAM RADEON 9600 PRO

Have you removed the pad on the heatsink and added thermal compound yet? Many of the chips from AMD are rated and sold very close to their maximum clockspeeds. 350 may be the best you can do rock solid from your 350. I had a K6-2 300 that ran perfectly at 300 (well, with thermal compound anyway), but spontaneously reboot at 333, even at .1V higher than spec. I was not happy (my grandfather uses that chip now ) Have you tried turbo yet? 3.5x103= ~360.

Good luck,

Nack

My k6-2 350 needed 2.4 volts at first, then after burning in with seti@home for about 3 weeks, it is running @ 400 at 2.2 volts. Rock stable. Cooling is very important. I got a big a$$ heatsink and a 60x60x25 fan on it, as I type this it's at 22.6C. I am running Rain though. My cards don't like 112 FSB, so my next step is 4.5x100 @ 2.4, I don't think it will make it though.

b1er
    There is no such thing as friendly fire.

Nack,

I tried mine @360, it would post, but when Windows started to load I got protection faults and it kept shutting down. When I turned it back to 350mhz, I had to reinstall windows as nothing I tried would get windows going. I am not saying it won't work worked, but in my case it didn't. I think that it might have had something to do with the PCI slots. I probably could have adjusted the PCI latency, and tried again after a fresh install of windows, but never tried.
    If all else fails, ask the GUY on the couch...

http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/3703sah.png>

Sempron 2800@2100mhz ASUS KN8 512meg RAM RADEON 9600 PRO

I don't think the problem is the heat sink and I did use termal compound. My friend with a similar set up gets fine at 400 and goes to 450 for weeks at a time. Not at any point since he's had the computer have I seen it running at 350. Do you think it's my motherboard or possibly that the chip is really a 333 in disguise (When I bought the chip in december I remember hearing of a shortage of 350s on the market and many people were passing off 333's as 350's) or maybe something else. I really wanna kick this mother up to 400mhz because my friend gets faster load times in everything and better 3D performance and I mustn't have an inferior computer to his

------------------

I had the same problem on my 350.My board is a FIC 503+.After I updated my bios,it'll run at 472.Must use a good heat sink!!!

KroniX - I am not an o/c expert but it still sounds to me like a temperature problem if your locking up after post. More cooling will also give you more flexibility for tinkering with the voltage to help with stability (you haven't mentioned what voltages you've tried)

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW - I'm running a K6-2 300@350 (3.5x100) 2.2V and have had it up to 380 (4x95) 2.4 running stable but a little too hot for my liking. (I chickened out 'cause I haven't got the cash for a new chip yet)

Smurfter - you're sure not an expert overclocker, 'cos there's ei little difference between posting and booting!!!
    1.If you cannot boot, BUT you can post - this is not a heat problem, but CPU problem( not enough voltage, max speed etc...)You can( not 100%) post and boot, but with kryotech cool or some watercooling at zero degrees C.
    2.Can post, can boot but Win98 crashes in some mins or could not boot Win98 to the end - could be heat problem, but also voltage problem!!!
    3.Cannot even post - NOT HEAT PROBLEM AT ALL(Not true with kryotech cool) - Just your cpu don't want that speed@current voltage at all!!!
    Todor
    mollov@mail.bg

mollov19 - thanks for the explanation but could you clarify the first statement. It sounded like you said that its not a heat problem but you could boot with zero degrees cooling. Im not trying to be a smartarse. Could you clarify.

I HAVE DFI MB K6 350 RAN STABLE @ 450 2.6 VOLTS HEAT NOT A PROBLEM. I NOW HAVE A K6 2 400 AND IT RUNS HOT @ 400 AND NOT STABLE @ 450 AND I HAVE 3 FANS RUNING. GOOD LUCK
    Have Fun and Good Luck!!
    My Home Page
    www.badasplace.com

Thread Information