How about an Overclocking Tutorial?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How about an Overclocking Tutorial?

How about an Overclocking Tutorial?

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new barebones machine. Its the first time I'll have anything faster than my current P-100. Ugh!

I ordered a PIII-450 with a Soyo SY-6BA+ III mobo with an extra case fan. I was hoping to learn how to bump it up to a reasonably safe 500 MHz, since HardwareCentral rates this board and chip stable at 558 MHz.

BUT, I'm a newbie at overclocking. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn the basics? And is there any special software I should be looking for to help measure the results? Or is that all part of the BIOS?

Thanks,

------------------
    -----------> Cruiser
    -----------> Cruiser

CASE I
    I think your board will have softmenu in bios.
    You go into bios and top left thing.
    Then you change from 4.5*100 to manual
    You keep the multiplier at 4.5 but change the bus speed to whatver you want 4.5*whatever=your new speed.

CASE II
    If there is not such utility you will have to look in the manual how to switch jumpers.
    you leave everything alone, but switch bus frequency.

This page has tutorials on o/clocking, so does thetechzone.com and overclockers.com and so on, check the links.
    For checking the results of your labors there are Wintune, SiSoftSandra99 & many others go surf, part of the fun is discovering and finding the stuff yourself.

Treb--
    I agree: The Hunt's the thing. But thanks. You gave me the tools to search for. Exactly what I wanted.

UPS Tracking shows the new machine shipped Monday...

Seeya,

------------------
    -----------> Cruiser
    -----------> Cruiser

Don't be too surprised if you can't get the K6-III to go to 500MHz. I've tried 3 different K6-III 450's and only got one to go to 500 (actually 4.5*112, 504).

I think the on-chip L2 cache is often the limiting factor. I have had success with disbling it in BIOS, but that kinda defeats the purpose! The K6-2's seem more overclockable in general. I have gotten almost all of the K6 2-450's to 500 with no problems on the same motherboards as I tried the K6-III's on.

Thread Information