Prime95, what is it and where can I get it......
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Prime95, what is it and where can I get it......

Prime95, what is it and where can I get it......

In several posts I read people use a program called Prime95 to test if their overclocked system is stable. I guess it is some kind of program that performs complex calulations of some sort (correct me if I'm wrong). Where can I get this program, is it freeware and if not how much does it cost? I would like to test my Celeron 366MHz @ 550MHz. I haven't had any crashes yet, but I'd like to try it anyway.

Thanx in advance,

Tommy.

Prime95 is a program that does calculations to find Mersenne prime numbers. It does a series of tests with huge numbers. You can run a test from numbers you get off of the web or you can use it in a torture test to see how well your cpu holds up at overclocked speeds. If your cpu is not stable it will give you errors when doing the calculations.
    You can get this program for free at
    http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
    The site will give you a better explanation. Click on the link for the free software at the bottom of that page to get the actual program.

Thanks a lot! I downloaded it, ran the torture-test for a couple of hours and everything seemes completely stable. I will run it for 24 hours soon, so I will be completely sure. Thanx again.

Thread Information