Oh my, i just wet my pants!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Oh my, i just wet my pants!

Hybrid View

Oh my, i just wet my pants!

Anyone know how to reliably do that sound that Homer Simpson does when he sees doughnuts? Well, do that <here>... that's what i just did when i saw this:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/990713-000021.html

SMP 1Ghz Cu Athlons... o'ced out the wazoo + mucho peltiers ))))))))) no smile can be big enough

Well, i'm gonna go clean myself up
    -Machupo
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

why do people get all excited when they here about dual processor or quad processor systems? wooohooopty freakin doo. Do you realize that Sun and Alpha have been building systems with 16 and 64, sometimes more, processors for YEARS?
    Do you realize what a cluster of 16 750mhz Alpha 21264's can do?
    "There are only two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Erm... actually, the focus of the last post was the fact that COPPER CPU's which are much faster because copper conducts electricity much better than aluminum may be out in production by the end of the year....

i don't give a crap about more than one processor, one of these things would be fine with me, let alone 64 of them!

-mahchewpoh
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Dont change diablo, youre not the only person here who finds this obsession to repeat every scrap of athlon news found till its beaten to death stupid. Copper is an excellent addition, but contrary to what most peope believe, copper is not going to be much help as far as improving high-speed yields until .13 microns. Hence the reason TSMC and other aisian semiconductor giants are holding off on copper till .13 microns...its very expensive with hardly any benefit at .18 microns. Maybe AMD will see more gains from it, but what does that say about the quality of their aluminum process?

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

Copper DOES make a difference. Copper has a lower resistance than aluminum, and lower resistance means less heat and lower necessary voltages (which also lower heat output.)
    The reason most companies are "going cheap" and not getting with copper until .13 is reached, is that copper is not a MUST currently, although it is VITAL to the .13 process because it has a smaller molecule than aluminum, and also, when you are packing THAT MANY circuits in that small of space, you NEED to produce lees heat per circuit.
    Personally, believe it will be worth their while to test and refine their copper process NOW, so that when .13 comes around, they will be all set to use the copper that is needed.
    besides- Copper=lower resistance=less heat=Better overclockability and more stability.

------------------
    I make money while I surf the net.. You can get paid to surf, too.
    http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=aoi496

Thread Information