Warning: SPD at DIMM.....?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Warning: SPD at DIMM.....?

Hybrid View

Warning: SPD at DIMM.....?

Can anybody deliver a little insight on this error message? It pops up during the boot after I push a Celeron 300a on a BH6 to 450.

Any help would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Sorrow

Not 100% sure,but i think its to do with the speed of your dimms,ie when you take your cpu past 366mhz it runs at 100mhz if your dimms are 66mhz,it will cause your system to hang or not boot at all.
    hope this was some help.

Are you sure you have PC100 RAM onboard?
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I dont think its the ram Im running a 300a on a bh6 board with pc66 ram and I can hit 450 with NO errors at all..

------------------
    Msand9898@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Msand9898 (edited 08-05-99).]

put the voltage up and try again !
    as i overclocked my amd k6-2 400 to 450 @ 2.2 volt. i had errors as far as i puted up the voltage to 2.3, that may solve your problem

/ps

my mother has a cirix ( how doe i write this) 233 @ 2.9 v. fsb 66, i turned the fsb up to 100 * 3, and i still have no problem with the ram (64mb @ 66)

First off, thank you all for replying.

Ok, I double checked my RAM and they are listed as 100mhz (on the package). Are there any nice benchmark-type apps for testing this?

Oh, I made a point to actually write down the exact warning instead of working from memory just in case it matters to anyone reading this cry for help.

Warning: SPD Not Found at DIMM(s) 1

Time to get back to the tinkering. Thanks again for the replies everyone!

I think the message means that the memory controller could not find the serial EEPROM memory that all PC100 compliant memory modules have. The EEPROM is a small 8 pin memory chip that tells the mempory controller the size, speed, and other characteristics of the memory module so it knows how to set up the timing for it.

I got a similar message at boot up a few weeks ago when I put a cheap non-PC100 compliant memory module in my system. It ran OK, but the BIOS had to assume a bunch of timing for 100MHz operation.

If your package says 100MHz, that's not the same thing as PC100 memory! PC100 memory is actually 125Mhz memory (8nS or faster). If your memory chips have a -10 on the end of them -- and I'm betting they do -- then you don't have PC100 memory.

100MHz memory might run OK with your FSB set to 100MHz. If your system gets flaky, backing off the FSB frequency a bit should stabilize it.

I'm going to assume that is the problem. I am now certain one is 100mhz and one is PC100.

Time for another trip to the old hardware store.

A bit wiser,
    Sorrow

Thread Information