PIII VS Celly OC'ing???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PIII VS Celly OC'ing???

PIII VS Celly OC'ing???

Do PIII's Overclock as well as Cellys??
    Can I expect to run a PIII 550 @650?
    I have heard a rumor about an Alpha heatsink for the PIII. anyone else heard about this??
    Also.. I have noticed some overclockers having hard drive crashes.. but I think this is only at certain bus speeds. What bus speeds are safe?? I want the fastest possable system... I currently have a kryotech cool K6-550.. but its darn near old hat already. I may even try putting a Celly Mobo socket 370 in it, I THINK it will work in it and see what I come up with. I want to overclock to the fastest/safest speed possable... without risks of hard drive crashing. I dont care if the CPU fries.. I can always get another one.. but the data on the hard drive is a major pain to replace.
    Any suggestions??
    Here is a pic of me
    Rich "Tech wanna be!"

members.aol.com/kingwands/me.jpg

Did i just see the words 'old-hat' and PIII 550 in the same sentence, actually REFERRING TO ONE ANOTHER!?!?!?!

WHAAAAAAAAAT!

Anyways, 'nuf of that, erm... the PIII should be fine, it's got a nice, high multiplier (5.5) most normal (read: products not specifically picked for their overclockability) hard drives and video cards, etc. can handle anywhere 112-118, but get a little iffy @ 124-133, even at 112, this would boost you up to 616, i'm sure if you had good ventilation (i.e. internal drivespace fan --for hdd, video card mounted fans, lotsa big fans blowing out, a couple in) and a nice fat alpha heatsink / fan on yer brain (a.k.a. cpu), you'd have no problem overclocking the beastie.

Now, as for replacing a PIII 550 with ANY celeron, forget it! you'll get farther with the 550 that you will even with the celery 500...

i'm sure if you reply with the details about all the other junk (read: expensive computer parts other than the cpu) in your box, you'd get a much more tailored response

hope this helped,
    -machupo
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Actually he said K6-550 not PIII being old hat

However, I have a PIII550 currently in an abit BE6 and it is sweet. I am fine at 110 or 112 (605 and 616). Runs at 115/632, but haven't tested it much. I have my V3 @ 164 and may have to turn it back a notch. Computer froze up last night making a cd... Good thing for RW!

Windows will start with 120 or 124, however, I mucked the hd something fierce doing it. Had to ghost over my original image again. I'm going to play around with a few things @120 and 124 - like dma off, l2 cache off, etc... and see what happens.

You should definately get 630 without problem. Possibly 682.

Keep cool man
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

If you're asking what is easier to overclock then the answer is the Celeron. The safest thing to do is to cool your Celeron dramatically and run it at 100 MHz FSB. That'll keep everything in your computer safe.

I just don't know how well you can clock a Celeron 433 or 466 at 100 MHz FSB?
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks for the info..

I guess what I am trying to get at is this.. what is the fastest speed possable.. thats stable.. and with about a 90% success rate. Perhaps a PIII 600 @700?? I want to "beat the system" I tried doing that already with my Kryotech system.. but I barely have it broke it and there are already faster chips released. A Cellery 500 @600 or so would be great.. because they only cost about $200.

------------------
    Forget AMD and Intel..
    Cyrix is king!

Here is a pic of me
    Rich "Tech wanna be!"

members.aol.com/kingwands/me.jpg

Thread Information