celery...damn CELERY!!!!!!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: celery...damn CELERY!!!!!!!!

celery...damn CELERY!!!!!!!!

Well..I got my Celery 366hz today..,i currently had a P2-266 that runs stable at 300hz at 100hz bus.However..i saw somewhere that the c366hz was 99% sure to be clocked to 600hz sumtn at 112 fsb..however...i got this bloody thing..and it wont clock higher than 458hz at 83hz fsb..Big BUMMER!
    Its only 5 fps faster in Quake3 than my P2-300hz..and in Unreal and Half-Life..its actually a LOT choppyer!

(370 socket..so im using a slot 1 adapter)

My motherboard is Abit BX6 R.2..and ive tried upping the voltage to 3.0..but the thing still crashes(right after the floppy has gone nutz) when trying to run it at 550hz at 100hz fsb.Why da hell is it locked to x5.5 anyways?? Please tell me u can unlock it!

(370 socket..so im using a slot 1 adapter)

I also saw somewhere a while back,that there was a "hack" for these Motherboards,and it made u able to set the fsb manually..like instead of using the default 83hz fsb,u could upp it by 1,2,3 etc. hz ..making it 84hz,85hz etc. Anyone know anything about this??
    Any other tips to get the sucker running at 550hz ?

Oh yeah..i got a really big "house fan"..its actually bigger than my computer ..so too much heat aint a problem for me

Ciao!

------------------
    Cracky
    Cracky

sounds like you got some bad info, from what ive heard, about 2/3 of 366 get to 550 stable, so its not uncommon for yours to not do that. I thought your motherboard would not allow you to set 3volts core, thats way too high, you shouldent go above 2.3ish really. Try setting your voltage to 2.3v to get 550. If that dosent work, you shoulld just go for 457 @ 2.0V
    Windows 2002 Protection Fault
    This user has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated
    press the any key to continue

Oh well,I tried voltage from 1.7 and up..and now im running 458hz stable at 1.9v.

With my p2-266 cpu,i can actually get 3.20v..but with the celery..it maxes out at 3.0.

I still dont get the poor performance though..kinda logic to think that a 458hz (83 fsb) celery would run quite faster than a p2-300 (100 hz)..

If I just could figure out which pin to kill
    Cracky

Along with what al^d said, there is a batch of 366's that go to 550.. Several re-sellers are guaranteeing it... Be prepared for the 8x FSB to trash your hard drive...

Happens a lot ...
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Crack - if youre dissatisfied with the performance, swallow your pride and send it back...and order a 550mhz guaranteed c366.

And Crack, what video card are you using? Only a TNT2/Voodoo3/G400 will really see a huge increase in speed, and slower cards will definitly show little increase at higher resolutions. And are you using a 2/3 multiplier on the AGP slot in order to get a stable system? If so, your AGP slot is running at a pitiful 55mhz, which would definitely account for the choppyness.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

Yeah,I guess my videocard(s) is kinda outdated..they are 2 CL Voodoo2 12 meg's,running at 105hz.
    My ram is SDRAM PC100..
    And yes..2/3 multiplier on the AGP but..I got no agp card..so that shouldnt matter.

With my Celery set to default speed,I get 36,4 FPS in Quake3 q3testdemo1..at 458hz at 83fsb,i get 42 FPS.No jumping of joy fer me

Maby it's time to get a ultra card though..

Ciao!

------------------
    Cracky
    Cracky

Crack,

Who told you that 99% of Celery 366 run at 600 ?? well, he was absolutely mistaken...
    There is a batch of OEM Celery 366 (SL36C) from Malay that is almost guaranteed at 550... but I never heard of 366 reaching 600 easily.. in fact, I tested more than 30 Celery 366 of this good batch and none of them could reach 600 and be stable.

About your video card combo, yes, they are a little outdated, if you get an TNT Ultra you should have a great increase in speed and in image quality.

Thanx guys

I tried once again to clock it to 550hz,the computer had ben off over night..and I actually almost got into windows before it crashed..

Could this be a heat problem afterall?
    I dont got a temp mes. So I have no idea how hot the cpu get's..I can however touch it without frying myself..my P2 was stable at 30c..dont think its much hotter now..

Ciao!

------------------
    Cracky
    Cracky

Hardware Doctor is on the cd that comes with your BX6r2. It allows you to monitor temp. You can also find other programs on the net like Motherboard Monitor or Sandra that will tell you temp. The board has the thermistors.

What is your case cooling and processor cooling? I have an Additronics 6890 case, two case fans blowing in, one 60mm fan out, one slot cooler, and the power supply blowing out. On the processor itself I have a socket Alpha. With a 366@550 on the same board it's 35C case temp/ 35.5C cpu temp and the thermistor probe is as close to touching the cpu as possible. With cpuidle it's 32/30C. I just got it yesterday so I haven't put it through its paces but so far it's stable.

Maybe try setting your CAS latency higher in the BIOS and disable speed error hold. Make sure your cpu settings user defined 5.5x100(1/3) so your pci runs at the right speed. I don't know what the default is so who knows it might help.

Yheee..Hardware Doctor hehe...im too lazy to check these cd's hehe,nice proggy though

The program sais the temp is 31c.
    I currently have 1 fan on my processor,and one big house fan wich is 2cm away from the puter,covering the whole side of the box ( no case on computer)..I got 2 powersupply's here,so im gonna rip the fan's outta those and put them in there

Thanx!

------------------
    Cracky
    Cracky

Well..I give up!
    It did not work with 2 extra fans eather..the temp is now only 26c running 458hz,so heat is def not a prob
    (I could barely feel heat on the cpu after clocking it to 550hz..without success ofcause)

Guess I was one of the unlucky once getting a not-a-chance-in-hell-to-clock-this-crap-to-550hz! celery....

Now..if i just could set the fsb to 90 something

Ciiiiiiiiiiiao!

------------------
    Cracky
    Cracky

Thread Information